Do you NEED to put in your admin password to get a Trojan??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jazzandmetal?, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

I came home today and my daughter (3) was playing games on Nickelodeons website. I noticed that she managed to down load 6 .dmg files....something like 3avdi.dmg. I clicked on one and an installer came up on the desk top. I secure trashed everything.

I cannot figure out for the life of me where these came from as I can only find .exe files on the Nick site.

Thanks for any help.

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Could be from the ad content provider (if that website uses ads).

To be safer, you could create a separate account for your daughter to use (you'd log her into it -- via fast user switching or whatever), make sure it doesn't have admin privs, and lock down things a bit. Such as turning off the Safari prefs option to automatically open safe files.

This also has other advantages: your and her bookmarks doesn't get confused, and much less likely she could accidentally wreck daddy's computer or account. (I remember high school friends who, when they were that age, accidentally did just that.)

I'm not overly worried about trojans in the situation you pointed out, but does make it safer to maintain separate accounts and privileges.

3. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

I will do just that. She was on my account that HAS admin. I will set her own account up.

So just clicking on an ad can download stuff like that?

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes but without an admin password the installers can't change system files.

5. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

So even though that thing appeared on the desktop it didn't do anything? I am very OCD and I just wanted to make sure that trashing was all I needed to do to be safe.

It is odd that it was a .dmg file that was downloaded. Everything on that site and all the ads I tried to click on only had .exe files if I could get anything downloaded.

It was 3DVIAplayer.dmg

6. devburke Guest

If you Get Info on a downloaded file, you should be able to see where it came from.

Edit: Weird, apparently in SL screenshots of Get Info windows exclude the titlebar.

Attached Files:

7. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

I can only find it in "recent items" under the apple icon. I already trashed it and reset safari. Any other way to get the info?

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I wouldn't be to worried 3DVIAplayer.dmg is just a web content player. The website for it looks pretty legit.

9. devburke Guest

If you haven’t emptied your trash, obviously you could get it there. If you use Time Machine, you could also find it there.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

She can download the image files to her hearts content, installing the apps requires the password. A trojan will be harmless while still in the .dmg. Only when installed w/ a password does the potential for problems arise.

11. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. Now I am just trying to find out where she found it. All the ads and such go to sites where parents have to put in emails to do anything. I am just curious about it.