Do you need to take documentation for replacements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dangerous Theory, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Hopefully getting my iP4 replaced today at the Apple store, and I'm wondering if they need documentation like proof of purchase or anything, or can you just take the handset by itself?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I didn't need anything. They simply looked up the IMEI off of the phone to service it...

3. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

What was the story with your phone? Did you get a replacement without any issues?

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Simply call up the store too and ask them if you need any documentation...

5. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, no I'm happy with your answer. I was just curious about your situation.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

You don't need to take any documentation in. I had to get my iPhone 4 replaced and I just made an appt. at the Genius bar. They looked up the details on their system and then just swapped it out. As it happened they gave me a phone locked to O2 when the original I bought from them was unlocked. I went back without an appt. and they were happy to swap it out again for an unlocked one without an appt. probably because it was their mistake to begin with.

7. vseera macrumors member

Went to the London Regent Street store. Walked in, they were really busy so they gave me an appointment for later.

Walked in 2 hours later, explained the problem to the person (sticky home button) and got a replacement in 15 minutes.
    They can tell if your warranty is valid by looking at the serial number.
    And they check for water damage right at the onset.

No hassle process at all. I was thoroughly impressed.

You don't even have to take the box and accessories. It's a straight iphone to iphone swap.

8. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Did they swap it straight off without hassle or do they check things? Mine has dust under the screen, but I'm also worried that they'd open it up because I've taken the back off before so technically I have voided the warranty.

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

They take it to the back to check it out and make sure you haven't voided the warranty before bringing out the replacement...

10. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Is this always the case? Because I fear they will notice, considering the plastic tab on the battery is clearly dented as if it's been pulled :/

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

It's possible because you've taken the back off they may not swap it out or repair it. As far as I'm aware they can usually tell by just looking at it if it's been tampered with or not. You may get lucky in this respect. I've never done that with my iPhones specifically because it voids the warranty.

In my case the problem was that on and off the sim card wasn't getting recognised and I use to get a message saying sim card not inserted .... The genius bar tech took less then five minutes to look at it. Considering the problem just happens at random I doubt he was able to replicate it. He just swapped it out for me on the spot. That's what Apple typically does with the iPhone and iPad. They don't bother taking it for repair.

12. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

So they didn't take the back off yours? Sorry for the silly questions, I'm just nervous about looking like a fool. It'd be nice to have some reassurance that they don't always check the back - like is it procedure to make sure you havn't voided the warranty or is it usually for water damage? If the latter, I'd like to think that they wouldn't check for water damage if the problem is dust.

13. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I think that he was kidding.