Do you notice people still being surprised that a new iPhone comes out every year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Jun 25, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

A few years ago people would buy a new iPhone around April or May and then all of a sudden a new one comes out in June and they're like "WHAT?! I JUST BOUGHT AN IPHONE AND NOW IT'S OUT OF DATE WTF!!" which was silly.

2. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

The common consumer doesn't spend their hours checking the calendars of the tech world. Just as the people staring at their computers day in and day out have knowledge about the harvest conditions of Mangroves in Jamaica or the proper nutritional values of each food group you're ingesting daily.

Got it?

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Most of the business people I deal with on a daily basis do not worry too much about how often Apple introduces a new phone. :rolleyes:

4. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I work in tech field so I really don't hear those statements. Everyone pretty much expects whatever phone they have to be updated yearly, android or iOS.

5. 617aircav Suspended

that's what you hear on tech sites. the real world is not like that. walk into the Apple store on September 1st and see people happily buying the iPhone 5s.

6. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

It seems like most people freak out about that. Also a trend with the new MacOS.

7. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

I think it is more noticeable because Apple only really have the iPhone whereas other companies have many different models and nothing else really gets the same press and hype/excitement surrounding launches!

8. imanidiot Suspended

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think the comparison applies. If someone cares enough to get upset about a new model coming out then they should have done their research--just like most people do when they get a new TV or something.

It's true a lot of people don't care about tech so much, but then again they wouldn't worry when a new model comes out either.

10. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you notice people still being surprised that a new iPhone comes out every year?

11. imanidiot Suspended

Why would anyone be surprised that what happens every year happens every year? And if they are, why does it matter?

12. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It used to happen a lot (people being surprised or upset). I was curious if people still are.

13. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

To be honest, the people I know who don't time their contract upgrade with the iPhone's release schedule just don't care enough that they're buying a phone that's already been out for 9 months. If someone cares enough about having the latest model, then they'd have done their research. Aside from the iPhone 4S, the iPhone release schedule has been fairly predictable.

14. cynics macrumors G4

I never really met anyone that was surprised about the iPhone. Maybe Macs, ATV, etc.

People should do their research, if they don't then don't bitch.

15. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Most people don't need to have the latest and greatest devices at all times so they don't keep on the calendar schedule for device releases like most people do on here. People like us are a very small percentage of the population.

16. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I've worked in the cellphone industry, and yes, I've seen it. That's why I would tell people if they were doing an upgrade pretty much in the six months running up to the iPhone launch, because then I could note on their account that they were aware and couldn't call back and complain that they couldn't get a new phone. Some people waited, but most didn't.

17. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

True true. Some people just care that much with stuff they consume or purchase. Case in point, name all the last ten items you bought this week including food and bottled water. Did you do your research before purchasing them? If you did, kuddos to you, mate. Some people are just that way, I guess. I had this friend in highschool that was always in google with every single detail about his life. I envy that he has the time and conscientiousness to do so.

We here in Macrumors are lucky to know the ins and outs (majority anyway) of the Apple world calendar. But do we have the right to think other people are "silly" (quoted from the OP) because they didn't know when was Tim Cook gonna flash his next generation of phones? Some people have other priorities than to browse about the tech world or read about the his next purchase. Perhaps President Obama should also read about his next pair of Nikes? ;)

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It's CONSUMERISM to update very year. It's not like your current iPhone can't handle things for 2-3 years.

19. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

So? It's likely consumerism to get an iPhone in the first place. :rolleyes:

20. $M.H$ macrumors member

LOL , I notice that :)

BTW : I hate that felling too :D

21. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I have had people tell me that they aren’t going to buy a 5s because the six is “likely to come out in a few weeks”. Fair enough. Except that this was just after the 5s was announced, before its release.

I’ve also seen people buy a phone in early September then be furious that it has been “replaced” without prior warning.

Not as many people as you think actually bear release dates in mind.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

To point out how silly the great unwashed is in their surprise that there is a new iPhone every year...and to point out how smart we in-the-know, cool folks are because we're not surprised when a new iPhone comes out every year.

Sort of self congratulatory, don't you know!:p

:rolleyes:

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

To get an iPhone in the first place has a different meaning than upgrading every year. Consumerism is every year; in the first place(as you stated) is not.

24. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I see this a lot with iOS. I'll be talking about iOS 8 and people will be like "Didn't iOS 7 just come out? Apple is so confusing."

Then I walk away in annoyance because of the Apple-illiterate person I just spoke with.

25. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I genuinely only see it on here.

I have a friend who just over 2 years ago bought his first iPhone, the 4s. I explained to him before hand that if he waited a couple of months the new iPhone (iPhone 5) was due out. He didn't seem to mind. His contract has just ended and before it did we had a couple of conversations about how if he was to stay with the iPhone how it might be best waiting a couple of months until the iPhone 6 comes out, even explaining the larger screen size etc. He still went ahead and got the iPhone 5s, I guess he doesn't really care enough to hold out those 2-3 months, and to be fair to him I doubt he will complain when the iPhone 6 does come out just like when he didn't complain when the iPhone 5 came out.