Do you own a non-Apple dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 21, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I don't understand why the Apple 3G/3GS dock must cost $30 (even without free shipping). Yeah, Apple is milking its users as much as they can as usual.

Anyway, do you own a generic dock? What do you recommend from a simple dock to alarm/radio/CD/stereo/etc. devices?

A picture would be greatly appreciated as well. :)

2. adster macrumors regular

I use the Griffin Technologies Simplifi dock. It matches with my MacBook Pro, has memory card readers and works great. Plus I can use my case with the dock as well.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/simplifi

On sale now for $35! Use coupon code GRIFFINRTMN09 to save an additional 20%.

3. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Wow.. thank you so much for the coupon code!! :D

4. golden3159 macrumors member

Ugh...I want that so bad. Except I have a laptop, and I hate cords.

Does anybody know of ANY product that is basically, a USB network hub? That the iphone can sync from? I've tried print server type things, but not surprisingly, they don't work.

5. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

i got myself a cheap dock off ebay. plugs into the mains and charges.although does it slowly. Do miss my dock from my 1st gen. used to sync all the time and probably charges quicker too because this dock is a bit slow.

hmmm i was really satisfied with my cheapo dock until i started this post..

6. adster macrumors regular

Well, the Griffin dock only uses 1 cord (the USB). It has a power adaptor if your USB doesn't supply power, but I haven't had to use it. I'm also not sure what you mean by a USB Network hub? The Griffin dock states does have 2 additional USB ports on the back so it's kind of like a USB hub as well.

7. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Just curious, Does/would an iPhone in a thin case fit? More concerned about the width of the opening that the phone sits in.
    Thx!

8. gsxr370 macrumors member

wondering the same thing. I have the in case slider, but the bottom is so difficult to take off. If it would fit in that griffin dock, it would be sweet.

9. golden3159 macrumors member

Well, I was looking for a way to basically plug my usb into a device that is connected to my wireless network. Like a print server. Basically, a wireless sync for my iPhone.

EDIT: I found this
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L009-5-Port-Network-USB/dp/B000QSN3O6

I can't seem to find any reviews that say weather or not it will sync an iphone to windows. Hmm...

10. adster macrumors regular

Well the Griffin dock is compatable with any dock adapters that fit Apple's universal dock. None of the adapters it came with will work with a case, but if you don't use ANY adapter, it works just fine. My roommate has the Incase Slider case and it fits without any Dock Adapter.

A few days ago, I purchased a set of these:
    http://www.agent18.com/productdetail/extras/universal-dock-inserts-iphone-3g-3g-s-shields/155.aspx

Agent 18 includes dock adapters with their cases, and since most cases are about the same width, these would work just fine with MOST cases, but I haven't tested them yet so I'm not 100% positive they would work. I should get them on Monday or Tuesday and I'll update then.

11. golden3159 macrumors member

Wow! I just struck gold! I found a way to wireless sync my iPhone. The only downside is that you need a 24/ computer and a looong USB Cable. It fits fine in my situation, since my laptop is so close to my server.

http://www.usb-over-network.com

I might try the Belkin solution too.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I've thought about machining my own out of aluminum or something I just haven't got around to it.

13. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Post a pic when you do. :cool:

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

here is the one I made on my cnc router. I just uses the standard cable from my phone and can use the standard base adaptor. though on my iphone one I leave it off to fit the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone had an expirience with the docks on eBay that look identical to the real ones but are obviously not..?

16. golden3159 macrumors member