Do you own an e-book reader? (physical devices, not apps)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, Nov 1, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I am somewhat skeptical about the market size of e-book readers. Yes, they ARE the future, but I wonder if they really can promote reading and thus increase the overall book market, digital or paper.

2. iNeko macrumors regular

I have a Sony PRS-600 (Sony Reader Touch Edition) and I don't think I could live without it. I used to be a big reader (I have a book collection of over 200 books), but since I turned 20, 3 years ago, my body has been going rapidly downhill (I have a genetic connective tissue disorder) and my hands have been getting worse so it's been difficult to hold books and turn pages thanks to cramps and things (and heavy hardback books!) So being able to carry my entire library around on something I can fit into a pocket is a godsend!

Sorry if that was more information than you needed, but as a disabled person, I get a bit over-excited about things that enable me :eek:

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't. I can read them on my iPhone and laptop. I don't want a new device to have to carry around.

4. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Yes, Kindle 1. I read much more now because of it, like back in my college days. I read about 2-3 books a month.

I still love to browse bookstores though. When I see a book I like I just check if there is a Kindle version available yet.

As for e-readers increasing buying of books, for me, yes.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I thought the same thing until I got my Sony Reader. I read a lot (a l-o-t) and find the ebook reader to be much much easier on my eyes. I could never go back to reading strictly on my iPhone or laptop. The difference a lack of backlighting makes on eyestrain (for me at least) is worth the price and slight inconvenience of yet another device.

6. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Yes. I have an Amazon Kindle with only 33 books so far. I have the eBook app on my 3GS too.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If more textbooks started coming to the kindle and they were cheaper I would probably buy one.

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I wish I had a 13.3" back pocket for my laptop. : p I usually read actual books.. love the feeling.

9. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm waiting to see what these guys come out with
    http://www.coolreaders.com/
    They're promising a new model with killer features in Feb 2010. Their devices seem to have greatest compatibility, (although not amazon which is only for kindle, do I see a new iTunes/DRM situation here?)

I also want to see if the Nook comes out in the UK, and am waiting to see if apple come up with something interesting.

I think buying one will get me back into reading. I love reading, but find books awkward and irritating physically. It's an exciting time for books, lets hope some foward thinking decisions are made and we don't end up with the cluster**** situation music found itself in.

10. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I have had the Kindle 2 since launch and I enjoy it. I am a history major and have to carry too many books, and I bought the Kindle for my personal reading. However, after seeing the reviews on the nook I may switch when it comes out, the color display for books is nice.

11. Happy Luppy macrumors member

I still reading books in the traditional way, i only use the ebook application in my Nokia E71 for fanfics or short novels and stuffs.

I guess i'm pretty old-fashioned, haha.

12. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Bought a Sony PRS-300 a few weeks ago, and I love it to death! Thought I would regret not getting the touch one, but it turns out I don't. Also, buying english books online is a lot cheaper than in Norwegian bookstores :D

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Note that it's just the bottom touchscreen part of the Nook that has color; the main reading surface is a monochrome e-ink surface just like the Kindle, Sony Reader, et al. Having said that, the Nook does look nice and I'm looking forward to seeing one in person.

I had a Kindle 2 for about three months before it slid off my nightstand, fell a few feet to the floor below, and the screen cracked. (Actually the screen didn't even crack, but the display was ruined nonetheless). Don't believe the "drop tests" on Amazon.com's web site, and do yourself a favor and buy the extended warranty that covers one drop!

I am disinclined to buy another Kindle given how fragile they are, but might change my mind if the price dropped significantly (to somewhere under $200). At this point I'm waiting (like many others) to see what Apple has up its sleeve with respect to a "tablet" type computer.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

15. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

My college is one of the ones running a pilot program this year where selected freshmen get Kindles to replace their textbooks. Not being a freshman, I didn't get one, but several of my friends did--and love them. Still don't like the inability to highlight/jot notes etc though.

16. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I am just itching to get the Nook. It looks so much better than the Kindle and has a lot of extra features, least of all is a much larger available digital library. I'm waiting until after Christmas though, just in case. I know it's expensive, but maybe if I hint enough everybody will pitch in and I'll get 1 gift from everyone I know. :p

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Maybe. Am I the only one who remembers a wave of these things coming out around 8-10 years ago, and flopping big-time? What's so different this time around?

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Technology for a start…
    And a very different market.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, so the people who would buy these things are different - but what impact does technology have on it?

Then: pages displayed for reading on a hand-held device.
    Now: pages displayed for reading on a hand-held device.

:confused:

20. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I'm guessing that 10 years ago they didn't have widespread wireless networks (including carrier networks) in order to buy the books. They also probably didn't have as big an internal memory, let alone the ability to expand like some of them today do. Back then you could probably buy books, but nowhere near as many as today, and most likely not the large selection of newspapers and magazines as well.

And with some colleges apparently beginning to offer textbooks through these, I would pay more for a digital textbook than the hefty physical books in a heartbeat. I'm anxious to get one, even if I don't have as much time to read nowadays as I'd like. With one, I'd find the time. lol

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I will confess that I don't remember the "wave of these things coming out around 8-10 years ago", but I would guess that the difference today is not so much the underlying technology (e-ink) but the fact that it's cheaper than it was then. You also have factors like Amazon.com being one of (if not) the world's largest booksellers moving their catalog onto these devices and making the books' cost (at $9.99 for most bestsellers) almost an impulse buy.

Those are just a few factors that come to mind as to why it's different now.

22. gibbz macrumors 68030

23. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You might want to read this, instead of a $200 repair fee, amazon sent this man $400 because his kindle failed the drop test.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What I remember is these things costing a couple hundred dollars and books anywhere from $5-10. You would buy and download the book to your computer and sync the reading device with a cable, which was the standard of the time. I thought it was a cool idea then, but evidently not enough people thought so to sustain the market.

I don't remember people crossing their arms and puffing out their cheeks because they couldn't download books wirelessly, and I don't remember a shortage of titles available - but there were multiple formats, and I think there may have been some compatibility issues across formats.

25. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've had a Kindle 2 for almost 6 months now, and it is easily one of my favorite gadgets. Before the Kindle, I was averaging about a book a month (my annual goal is 12 books a year), but I've already read 23, with the majority of those coming since the Kindle arrived. I love the ease of downloading books instantly, the ability to sample books before I purchase, the syncing with my iPhone (and soon-ish my computer), and I love love love the e-ink screen.