Do you pay sales tax on Amazon in NY?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gusping, Jun 11, 2015.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

I'm going to New York soon on holiday and want to order some headphones off Amazon.com. They are $250 so will I pay that or will I also pay sales tax on top so it comes to $270?

Thanks

2. MAH11 macrumors newbie

Yes, if you are having it shipped to a NY address. The tax rate is determined by the county to which your order is shipped.

3. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Dammit, ok thanks.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Don't know if that's true. Sometimes I get tax and sometimes I don't and everything I order is shipped to the same place... my house.

5. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh... Maybe it depends on what type of item you buy?

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

It may depend on if the actual seller has a presence in NY. On my 2 most recent orders, one was taxed and the other wasn't but they were sold/shipped by 2 different vendors. I know one of the vendors DOES have a presence in NY (where I live) and that entire order was taxed.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

It depends from whom you're buying the item. If it's an item that's sold by Amazon, you'll pay sales tax. If the item is sold by another vendor but fulfilled by Amazon you may not pay tax if that vendor is not based in, or have a business location in, New York.

Oops, just noticed the post above mine saying the same thing.

8. Alex Meek macrumors newbie

That is only because of the variation happens in tax laws.... Otherwise no such reason.