Do you plan to buy the game Spore for your Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MacFanBoyIIe, Mar 16, 2008.

?

Do you plan to buy the game "Spore" for you Mac?

1. Dude, I'm already in line at the store!

40.6%
  2. Yes, if the reviews are good.

35.9%
  3. Probably not.

12.5%
  4. What's a Spore?

10.9%
  1. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Do you plan to buy the game Spore for your Mac when it is released in September?

Edit: Sorry about the poor grammar on the poll. I haven't had my coffee yet.

2. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

Well... that depends, what kind of a game is it. FPS, MMORPG, RTS?

3. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

september?
    jesus christ.
    sounds like a cool game but since im broke....

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Google, Yahoo, MSN, Altavista, Infoseek, Ask.com, Priceline, Orbitz... they'll tel l yah.

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

No thanks. Too much Evolution for a game.

A Sim City 5? THAT I would buy.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, I'm probably buying it for mac unless the Wii version is better somehow.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you've ever played Sim City, it's a game like that, except much more fleshed out. It's basically an enormous sandbox game (it contains over a half a million different stars).

But no, I don't plan on buying it for the Mac. If it were ported instead of Ciderized, I'd consider it, but I'll be picking up the PC version instead.

8. Theatrics macrumors member

What is wrong with cider? Seems to work great with Eve-Online.
    Do you mean you would like it better if it was native?

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can't remember the last time I played (much less bought) a video game, but the idea of a game based on evolution intrigues me far to much not to give Spore a try.

10. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'm getting on my soap box and saying that it really isn't based on evolution. If you want an evolution simulator play Sim Life. (Sim Life is actually used in some classes to illustrate evolution.)

Spore is more of a unique rts game with some mini games on it than an evolution simulator (it's actually closer to a simulator showing you how unrealistic intelligent design is).

11. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'll likely buy the OSX version as well as the Wii. :)

For those wondering what it is, click here.

12. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

yes, I'll get it it for iPhone too if I have one by then.

13. MacFanBoyIIe thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm curious too. What is wrong with cider? Specifically, how would it be detrimental to this particular game?

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Try playing the Mac version of Battlefield 2142. Compared to the PC version it's slow, even with the graphics options very low, it's bloated (though that may just be EA) and it's unfun to play. I shelled out $25 for the PC version instead and maxed the graphics options instead of getting horrible frame rates even with them at their lowest.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I voted probably not.. but only because I'm more inclined to buy it for my PC.

16. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

Sadly, I will also probably be getting the PC version.
    I responded to the poll as "I'm already at the store".
    If I buy a new Mac this year (unlikely due to a severe funds-shortage until my house sells) and Spore runs beautifully on Mac (not a kludgey one-size-fits-all cider port) then I'll totally buy it for the Mac.
    However, until all said miracles occur, I'll have to put it on my 4 year-old XP box.
    Don't get me wrong.. I'd love, LOVE for those miracles to occur. Especially the "selling my house" bit.

17. MacFanBoyIIe thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone care to defend Spore?

I wonder, is anyone browsing this thread/forum who is associated with the development of Spore for the Mac? If so, would they care to comment on how the game performance will be on a Mac as compared to a PC? Maybe someone who knows a guy that knows a girl that knows a guy would like to comment (if you know what I mean). Anyone?

18. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I voted probably not, but that's because I'll pick this up for the PC ( or one of the console ports ), and play it under BootCamp. I'm all for Mac games, but I want a proper Mac port. Other companies manage; the behemoth that is EA has deep enough pockets to fund a native port....

19. Echinda macrumors regular

It works, but at least for me, great is not an accurate description - the windows version has been far superior. The mac version feels like a beta (I was unable to play through the tutorial without a crash). Now since EVE has a 14-day free trial available, I'm not complaining. I didn't have to pay anything to determine that the Mac client wasn't for me, so no room for complaints. But if Spore is also a ciderized version, I would be reluctant to buy a retail box version based on my EVE experience.

20. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I may just get the PC version, mac games are far too much trouble than they are worth (odd considering pretty much everything else works like a charm) so I don't really mind rebooting into Windows on my Macs or just turning my PC on.

Windows version of the games are always better, ALWAYS. Unless of course, the game is developed with the Mac as it's primary platform, in which case sometimes games have some unique features but DirectX pretty much makes Windows the top platform for games.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

22. MacFanBoyIIe thread starter macrumors 6502

The demo at the SDK release was very impressive. It will be interesting to see how well the game is emulated in the iPhone.

23. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I think the latest patches have fixed this. I just started playing but I haven't had any crashes yet and I'm through the tutorial and exploring a few systems.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't know much about it, but it looks really cool. Probably yes. :)