Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to switch?

• Yes

Votes: 92 24.8%
  • No, staying with iPhone

Votes: 175 47.2%
  • No, I'll go with another platform

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Considering it

Votes: 101 27.2%

• Total voters

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
This is actually not something that I like to hear. It would be great as a second option, but not to completely remove the TID. I'm torn on which route I'm taking with my next phone as it stands already, but this would possibly push me to something else.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's a bit odd of Apple to walk back features they made popular, like Touch ID, but then again, this year's lineup is all a bit odd.

If there's anything we learned from the Mac interviews recently, Apple is a company like any other that tries their best to plan, but doesn't always have everything perfectly thought out every single time.

If this ends up being true, there's always the 7S "flagships." =T

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Wow, if it's from Bloomberg, gives it real credibility. Interesting indeed. I'm not sure people will appreciate the removal of touch ID. It's like losing the headphone jack all over again. Courage?

Facial unlock is amazing though, so if they feel confident in their 3D sensing tech, then so be it.

I have to bring this up again, if true, that means the iPhone 7S models will retain touch ID but not the iPhone 8. Again, all this tech is exciting from Apple (finally) but it's only being offered in a higher and more expensive tier that will likely be in extreme limited supply. Makes their flagship lineup just a little weird.

But whatever, so be it. Better than another year of just an S update.
this is why it's unlikely. the 7s will haver Touch ID but the new iPhone 8 won't seems unlikely.

or maybe it will remove it and have it under the display next year

Reactions: epicrayban

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm is anyone else considering getting the ip7s+ instead of the ip8? I think I'd rather have the front fp sensor eve n if it means having those huge bezels. Honestly with the addition of wireless charging all Apple needed to do was reduce the top and side bezels and I would have been more than happy. I'm starting to think the ip8 will actually have some strong negatives like that function bar taking up screen size and the more narrow aspect ratio which I'm really disliking.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hmm is anyone else considering getting the ip7s+ instead of the ip8? I think I'd rather have the front fp sensor eve n if it means having those huge bezels. Honestly with the addition of wireless charging all Apple needed to do was reduce the top and side bezels and I would have been more than happy. I'm starting to think the ip8 will actually have some strong negatives like that function bar taking up screen size and the more narrow aspect ratio which I'm really disliking.
Yep....the 5.8 display becomes 5.2 after you factor in the function bar. So the display area will be smaller than usual.
I don't think the iphone 7s will have wireless charging so not much of a reason to upgrade for me to that device.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Considering it looks like there won't be a plus sized version of the premium phone, it was previously unlikely that I would upgrade considering functionality-wise, I'm perfectly happy with what the 7 Plus hardware provides--excellent camera, snappy performance, decent sized display with 16.9 ratio, water resistance and a fingerprint sensor on the front. ;) Bezels have never been a sticking point for me, nor has wireless charging--wouldn't mind less of the former and inclusion of the latter but they only rate as potential nice-to-haves that I can easily live without.

While I like the designs in the most recent renders, I don't want to give up usable display real estate to a iPhone version of the Touchbar and absolutely won't accept a phone without a fingerprint sensor. So upgrading seems very unlikely, to either the new premium model or an 'S' version.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yep... Apple's flagships this year could be:

7S. The usual S upgrades but probably no dual camera and no wireless charging.

7S Plus with dual camera, no wireless charging. EDIT: Apparently, rumors point to the 7S models also having wireless charging, so hooray for that.

8 with dual camera, bezel-less design, and wireless charging, but possibly no Touch ID, but 3D facial unlock.

I guess the 7S models won't have the 3D sensing tech for facial unlock?

Again, odd lineup if true. It's unfortunate Apple insists on giving late-features to the highest, most expensive, limited-supply tier. What kind of flagship devices does that make the 7S models? Surely Apple can't walk back that they're premium models; will they position the iPhone 8 as some special limited edition-type preview of what's to come for the iPhone then? And then perhaps in 2018 they'll offer the iPhone 8S in two sizes?

We'll see. As I've said before, I'm excited about Apple finally catching up to the hardware tech, but disappointed in how they're going about doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yep... Apple's flagships this year could be:

7S. The usual S upgrades but probably no dual camera and no wireless charging.

7S Plus with dual camera, no wireless charging.

8 with dual camera, bezel-less design, and wireless charging, but possibly no Touch ID, but 3D facial unlock.

I guess the 7S models won't have the 3D sensing tech for facial unlock?

Again, odd lineup if true. It's unfortunate Apple insists on giving late-features to the highest, most expensive, limited-supply tier. What kind of flagship devices does that make the 7S models? Surely Apple can't walk back that they're premium models; will they position the iPhone 8 as some special limited edition-type preview of what's to come for the iPhone then? And then perhaps in 2018 they'll offer the iPhone 8S in two sizes?

We'll see. As I've said before, I'm excited about Apple finally catching up to the hardware tech, but disappointed in how they're going about doing it.
More and more we are seeing more fragmentation in Apple's product offerings. The iPhone lineup with the 7 and 7s to have TouchID and the iPhone 8 to eliminate it for facial recognition is one example. Wireless charging and dual camera is another.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
More and more we are seeing more fragmentation in Apple's product offerings. The iPhone lineup with the 7 and 7s to have TouchID and the iPhone 8 to eliminate it for facial recognition is one example. Wireless charging and dual camera is another.

Even the dual camera setup will be presumably different between the 7S Plus model and the iPhone 8 model, unless the Plus model adopts the landscape dual camera like the iPhone 8 rumors.

Gives new meaning to Apple's flagship devices.

I know Apple has stated the iPhone 8 is in celebration of the 10 year anniversary, but I can't help but suspect that they're "rushing" it due to the increased competition. It's just odd that they're shoehorning an iPhone 8 during an S-upgrade year. Perhaps the plan was always to do a massive redesign for the 10th year, but due to supply constraints, can't do so as the only proper flagship options (ie. an iPhone 8 and 8 Plus), and so they have to sort of keep the 7S models, but because they also need to keep up with competition, they'll throw the 8 into the lineup, and just charge an even higher premium for it.

[doublepost=1499268855][/doublepost]Wait a sec, the 7S models may include wireless charging after all. That's something!

A second tidbit suggests the iPhone 8 and its companion devices, the "iPhone 7s" and the "iPhone 7s Plus" will all adopt glass bodies with metal frames to facilitate WPC-standard wireless charging functionality. WPC-standard refers to the Wireless Power Consortium, which supports the Qi wireless charging functionality built into many Android devices.
-MacRumors

And it looks like Apple will stick with Qi charging as the standard.

If all this is true, many Apple fans will finally understand the convenience of wireless charging, just like they'll come to understand a more bezel-less design, facial unlock, or any of the number of things those fans called pointless, gimmick-y, etc. that the new iPhones may finally adopt. They'll come to understand why it was idiotic to dismiss wireless charging just because the charging pad is still connected to the outlet (I still can't believe there were people here who bought into that argument).

As I've said before, some simply will not understand until Apple does it. And as such, there is no point in arguing with such close-mindedness. Let Apple convince them this Fall.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yep....the 5.8 display becomes 5.2 after you factor in the function bar. So the display area will be smaller than usual.
I don't think the iphone 7s will have wireless charging so not much of a reason to upgrade for me to that device.

I was under the impression the 7s would have wireless charging, that being the reason they switched to glass backs.

Lately I've really been doubting getting an iPhone 8. Sure OLED looks nicer than lcd, but not really *that* much nicer. I would have loved the OLED for always on display, but I don't see Apple caring about that much. Really the only other draw for me would be the reduced bezel size. The function bar is a big negative, even without knowing what it is I know that screen real estate is more valuable to me than almost anything else. But it does sting knowing that I am downgrading from 5.5" on my 7+ to a 5.2", or less according to some measurements, it's almost an insult that there is no ip8 plus.

I also feel losing the fp sensor is a huge downgrade. Firstly what the heck will they do with Apple pay? How l ong will it take banks to adjust and accept the facial recognition, and who won't accept it? What about signing into apps with my fp? How long until those apps are upgraded, and how will everyone deal with having 2 paradigms across the iPhone family lineup? Plus I also happen to love the iPhone fp sensor, not just it's location but also how integrated it's become in my daily routine.

I guess I'm just used to the huge bezels on the ip7+ and can deal with it for another year, especially if I get wireless charging and whatever other improvements the 7s+ will get and keep a larger screen, fp sensor, etc. But I'm still undecided, man I can't remember the last time I had phone anxiety like I do this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was under the impression the 7s would have wireless charging, that being the reason they switched to glass backs.
From all the rumors the 7s will not have the glass backs. Only the iphone 8 will have the new redesign with glass back and wireless charging. The 7s will have touchid but not the iphone 8.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
From all the rumors the 7s will not have the glass backs. Only the iphone 8 will have the new redesign with glass back and wireless charging. The 7s will have touchid but not the iphone 8.

That's odd, almost every rumor I've heard said the 7s would have glass back.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I just read rumors that the 7S will have glass back to support wireless charging. Thank goodness.

I've edited my earlier post.

Apple is breaking a lot of traditions this year. All part of their plan? Slightly hard to believe given the odd lineup. Spurred by competition? More likely, if you're asking me.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That's odd, almost every rumor I've heard said the 7s would have glass back.
My bad...it looks like the iphone 7 will have glass back and wireless charging :)
[doublepost=1499270144][/doublepost]
I just read rumors that the 7S will have glass back to support wireless charging. Thank goodness.

I've edited my earlier post.

Apple is breaking a lot of traditions this year. All part of their plan? Slightly hard to believe given the odd lineup. Spurred by competition? More likely, if you're asking me.
Thanks Epic...sorry for the confusion :)

Reactions: spinedoc77

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Seems Apple can't get OLED fast enough. New report expects them to have it in all their 2018 flagship phones.

I've really gotten used to AOD on my s8. It'll be great if the iPhone could have something similar.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
On the topic of wireless charging... John Gruber says that the accessory may not go on sale til later in the year and after an iOS 11 update. Gruber says "ala protrait mode last year."

Thought Apple doesn't do anything until it's ready and thoroughly thought out? I mean, other OEMs pull this stunt all the time (the failure, so far, that is Bixby anyone?), but I was told not Apple.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I have to say, I've weighed my options, and having gone to the Apple Store this week, I think I'll wait for the new iPhone 8 and if it's silly money, which by all accounts it will be, I will be buying the 7 Plus when it's reduced in price. I don't really need a glass back and wireless charging, nice but not essential. And faster speeds, well I don't think it matters as I'm perfectly happy with my 6S speeds...
It's a massive phone but I'm loving iOS currently and I really want a bigger screen then my 6S, and I would like its camera, the dual sensor Android ones don't seem to be cutting it? Actually the only Android phone I'm liking at present is the One Plus 5.
But I think I'll stick to iOS and Apple Pay. Oh and 128GB, I find it really weird with these rumours fo Allle going 64GB or 256GB only and I doubt they'll make the 256 the exact same price as the 128..

I will also definitely be changing my 9.7" Pro to the new 10.5" model and get the keyboard, I use my iPad Pro sooo much now. And iOS 11 will only enhance that. Oh and I want an Apple Watch, it's just as well I stayed away from the computers haha...

Personally I think I'll wait for Apples bezeless OLED to come down in price, I'd rather have an iPhone 7 size device with a 5.3" screen for the same price as the iPhone 7, I just can't bring myself to spend £1000 on an iPhone.. when I can get a Plus model for around £300 less.

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Actually the only Android phone I'm liking at present is the One Plus 5.
But I think I'll stick to iOS and Apple Pay.

I can relate to that as I might still be using an iPhone if we had Apple Pay here. But as we don't (and most likely won't), I'm using the OnePlus 5 and nowadays it's rare for me to pay with my card instead of my phone. It's just too convenient. However, the OnePlus 5 has an additional advantage for my use as it has dual-SIM. However, if we had Apple Pay here and the next iPhone had a better antenna (so that my work SIM would actually get a decent reception where I live and dual-SIM wouldn't be as crucial), I'd be interested in the next iPhone. But as that's not the case, the OnePlus 5 is serving me well.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I can relate to that as I might still be using an iPhone if we had Apple Pay here. But as we don't (and most likely won't), I'm using the OnePlus 5 and nowadays it's rare for me to pay with my card instead of my phone. It's just too convenient. However, the OnePlus 5 has an additional advantage for my use as it has dual-SIM. However, if we had Apple Pay here and the next iPhone had a better antenna (so that my work SIM would actually get a decent reception where I live and dual-SIM wouldn't be as crucial), I'd be interested in the next iPhone. But as that's not the case, the OnePlus 5 is serving me well.

Yeah, Apple Pay where I live in he U.K. Has only been in the places I go in the last year, up till a few months back I hardly used it. But now if I can I do, it still has a limit of £30 I think, but hopefully that'll be lifted as it's got the fingerprint security aspect to it.
Speaking of the One Plus 5, I like the fact the finger print reader is on the front still.. how do you find the cameras on it now they've had a few updates?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Yeah, Apple Pay where I live in he U.K. Has only been in the places I go in the last year, up till a few months back I hardly used it. But now if I can I do, it still has a limit of £30 I think, but hopefully that'll be lifted as it's got the fingerprint security aspect to it.
Speaking of the One Plus 5, I like the fact the finger print reader is on the front still.. how do you find the cameras on it now they've had a few updates?

Well here terminals take NFC payments pretty much everywhere. If you can pay with a card, you can pretty much pay with NFC as well. We also have a general limit of €25 for NFC transactions, but at least my bank's app allows for larger payments depending on the terminal's settings. As my closest and most frequented grocery store does accept larger payments, I don't have to reach for my card too often.

On the OnePlus 5 the reader is still in front indeed and it's also quick and accurate, so it's a pleasure to use. I'm OK with the camera. It could still use some updates, but I can live with the current one. I've actually shot some comparison photos today with different apps and the pro mode, I'll have to see how they've turned out once I get back home to a larger screen.

Reactions: apolloa

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I just want an OLED iPhone. Couldn’t care less about TouchID as long as the iris/face scanned works perfectly. TouchID never works for me when my fingers are greasy or wet so good riddance.
[doublepost=1499617907][/doublepost]
I have to say, I've weighed my options, and having gone to the Apple Store this week, I think I'll wait for the new iPhone 8 and if it's silly money, which by all accounts it will be, I will be buying the 7 Plus when it's reduced in price. I don't really need a glass back and wireless charging, nice but not essential. And faster speeds, well I don't think it matters as I'm perfectly happy with my 6S speeds...
It's a massive phone but I'm loving iOS currently and I really want a bigger screen then my 6S, and I would like its camera, the dual sensor Android ones don't seem to be cutting it? Actually the only Android phone I'm liking at present is the One Plus 5.
But I think I'll stick to iOS and Apple Pay. Oh and 128GB, I find it really weird with these rumours fo Allle going 64GB or 256GB only and I doubt they'll make the 256 the exact same price as the 128..

I will also definitely be changing my 9.7" Pro to the new 10.5" model and get the keyboard, I use my iPad Pro sooo much now. And iOS 11 will only enhance that. Oh and I want an Apple Watch, it's just as well I stayed away from the computers haha...

Personally I think I'll wait for Apples bezeless OLED to come down in price, I'd rather have an iPhone 7 size device with a 5.3" screen for the same price as the iPhone 7, I just can't bring myself to spend £1000 on an iPhone.. when I can get a Plus model for around £300 less.
The 8 is only expensive because Apple can’t get enough of the OLED panels to meet the entirety of the iPhone demand. They should get it stabilised by next year when both models dump LCD and go OLED. I am thinking Apple would turn the top variant into Pro like the Note series with Pencil support while the 9 Plus will still be the flagship with current prices for non Pro users.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.