Do you prefer college or professional football (American)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by majordude, Oct 5, 2008.

?

Do you prefer NFL or NCAA football?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2008.
  1. NCAA (college)

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. NFL (pro)

31 vote(s)
    59.6%
  1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Weaker rules in college. Plus the game is not as physical.

Now if the poll was basketball I would take college hands down.

3. chapel321 macrumors member

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

College, they play to win instead of for a paycheck so the action is ususally alot more raw.

Everyones gotta watch the superbowl though, even if you have no interest in the sport the other 364 days out of the year.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

College, definitely. I love the gameday atmosphere, too. It's just not the same in the NFL.

6. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I'd have to agree with both statements.

7. fotografica macrumors 68040

I'll take the college rules for pass interference and QB in the grasp any day over the pro rules..PI is ruining the NFL.Every week you see a team get 30+ yards of field position on a ball that's not even catchable in the first place. Not to mention if it happens in the endzone. There's also the clock stoppage on first down that's different.
    I can't tell you how many times I've seen NFL players have "career" years when they are up for a contract,then suddenly go flat the next year or two.

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Pro.

College is like watching high school sometimes. College players, coming off of high school, have just four years to sharpen their skills. Sometimes they are not pretty to watch but can reach a peak well into a pro career.

Nothing is like seeing a player at the top of their NFL game after college and a few good years in the pros. Your can't get the talent or wisdom of a Steve Young, John Elway, Charles Haley, or an Emmitt Smith in a college player. It always interesting to see thirty-something players evolve and continue to break new bounds.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't like the 1 foot in touchdown rule of college, makes it to easy.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There needs to be a poll option for "I'd rather watch paint dry and grass grow than watch any form of football" ;)

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Exactly! I don't watch any professional sporting events ('cept the Super Bowl :p)

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I prefer pro ball. As another poster said, the game play of the NFL is much elevated over that in college and I've never really bought the 'in college they play for love of the game not for a paycheck" line. It's a means to an end for a lot of players which is why there are rules against NCAA players receiving compensation and why there are scandals from teams and players violating those rules. Guys like Deon Sanders, Brian Bozworth, and Tony Mandarich were egotistical media whores way before they got NFL uniforms.

Lethal

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

This. Obviously.

14. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Wait a second. Everyone says college yet the NFL is winning in the poll! :confused:

What's wrong with you guys?

This is like the last two presidential elections! The "exit polls" were different from what really counted. :mad:

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like them both, but since that wasn't an option I chose Pro.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

didn't you realize that the GOP controls MR??:p

17. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

There always has to be at least one of you fools. :mad:

What the hell possesses people who hate things like knitting, to throw in their two cents about things like "Is English Knitting better than Continental Knitting?" and saying neither because all knitting sucks?

What's the point? :confused:

18. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Oddly enough we were discussing this yesterday at a bar watching Notre Dame-Stanford and Michigan-Illinois. The college game is more unpredictable and fun to watch was the conclusion we came to.

YMMV.

19. timerollson macrumors 65816

College. The players are more exciting. I feel like once they reach the NFL, a plateau effect occurs and some (not all) players aren't too eager to impress anymore with the guarantee of such a large sum of money waiting for them at home.

Plus, it's always exciting seeing young talent develop over the course of a couple years.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

College all the way. I feel more of a connection to those teams. To be more exact Texas Tech the school I graduated from.

The players do not get traded, they play to win.

And I went to school there so I tend to follow the Big 12 and see what Texas Tech does.

It so much more fun to cheer for my school than it is to cheer for some pro team I feel no connection to.

21. applephysci macrumors regular

I wish there was a both option. I watch both.

22. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

At least in the pros, you have a semblance of parity and the chance a team can get hot at the right time (see Giants last year in the playoffs).

College football: Same dominate teams year in and year out. Spend early season beating up weak opponents looking for a payday. One loss and out. '

Also, coaches in the college rank seem to be higher on the dick/smarmy level (Spurrier, Saban, Nutt, et al).

Plus, the college game is hypocritical. Just pay the players over the table.

Also, I think the college game, minus a few teams, is more boring than the pros unless you go/went to a school and root for it no matter what.

And finally, the BCS is screwed and the bowl games are a joke except for like 1 year.

23. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

No wiggle room here. You have two kids, which do you like better... and none of this, "I love them both" stuff... we all know you favor one more than the other. Just ask mom.

24. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Pro. No doubt.

College football is great, don't get me wrong, but the NFL is much more of a competitive and balanced league.

I prefer "Any Given Sunday" over "I don't know what the hell's gonna happen Saturday!?!"

25. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Guess who got picked last in kickball???:)