iPad Do you prefer cooler or warmer screens for reading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KhunJay, Dec 31, 2013.

1. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

I have in front of me two iPad 4 tablets, both with evenly tinted screens but a marked difference in screen tone.

One is definitely on the more clinical side of white (cool) while the other is warmer (i would not say yellow).

Normally I would have liked to try both for an extended period but I have to decide and return one by friday.

I normally use the iPad only for reading....web articles, magazines,books and surfing.

Does anyone have any preference regarding warm vs. cool screens specifically for reading?

Both look nice to me but I was wondering if (in the long term), the warmer screen would be easier on the eyes.

Thoughts?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Spend a couple of hours reading on each and see which you prefer.

3. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

When I went from a cool white screen on my iPad 3 to a warmer (not yellow) screen on my iPad 4, I found the screen on the 4 to be much easier on my eyes. However I am older than most here and have dry eye syndrome so this may not be the case for most forum members. At first I thought the screen on the 4 was inferior to the bluish white screen on the 3, but after using the 4 for awhile it looked perfectly white. I also have a rMBP with a Samsung screen which I thought was yellowish compared to the other screens in my house and the other rMBPs in the Apple store (probably LG). After using it for a while the screen also looks white and is easy on the eyes and I wouldn't want to go back to a bluish white screen like the one on my computer at work.

4. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

I have and am undecided, that's the point of this entire thread. Normally, it can take a few weeks/months before you can assess the screens for things like the fatigue they place on the eyes etc. I don't have that luxury.

@bevsb2: thanks, I value your response...just the sort of input i was looking for.

5. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I generally prefer a slightly warmer screen to read on, but neither really bother me as long as the screen is even. Most times it's hard for me to tell if the screen is warm or cool unless I have a 2 or more screens next to each other to compare. Ultimately, when I do, I find I generally prefer a warmer screen.

6. Davidsr20 macrumors member

Mmm do I prefer a defective or defective screen! I like have a nice white one :)

7. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

To a certain degree, eyes have a tendency to define a white balance. For me, unless the screens are next to each other, the tone needs to be pretty extreme for me to pick it up. If I line my iPhones, iPod touch, two iPads, and MacBook up the difference in tone is surprising. But no real problem with any of them.

(Where this fails, of course, is when a single screen goes from warm to cool . . .)

8. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

When I jailbroke my iPhone 5, I used f.lux to automatically adjust the screen warmth depending on the time of day. When I got my iPhone 5s, which didn't have a jailbreak available until this week, I was initially surprised at how blue the screen appeared, especially at night when I was used to a warm tint. Within a few days, I'd gotten used to it, to the point where I couldn't tell you if it has a blue or yellow tint. iOS 7 has fixed the main reasons I jailbroke (Control Centre and call blocking), so I haven't bothered to try again.

The moral of the story: it doesn't matter which you keep, you'll get used to it. If it bothers you, get f.lux.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member