Do You Prefer iMovie to FCE @ Times?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HappyDude20, Jan 9, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I got Final Cut Express and also received a Flip MinoHD w/ it.

I've been filming at least an hour everyday and uploading it to my MBP. Currently these files (MP4) are just in folders on my desktop as i'm attempting to get started with editing. I know FCE doesn't play nice with MP4 so i'm scouring the forum for the best MP4 to MOV or quicktime file. I have SL and when trying to get Quicktime Pro it told me I couldn't install it cause Quicktime X was already present.

That's essentially where i'm at right now: I haven't tinkered with FCE cause the MP4 files I threw into FCE kept saying they were unrendered. I also heard even rendering initially but then editing throughout in FCE requires to render again...which makes me want to find a nice (preferably free) program to convert those originally Flip Mino HD MP4 files to MOV or whatever is best. Then after editing i'd like to export or simply download it to YouTube at the best possible HD quality.

This is what has lead me to ask about FCE & iMovie.

iMovie was obviously built for the masses and the easy layman. The upload to YouTube button even sends it off in HD which is awesome but at the behest of having fewer editing options than FCE, plus FCE has the simple traditional editing layout which I love.

I'm at a crossroads here:

Either I continue using iMovie 09 HD which i know how to use quite well, and be able to upload in HD to YouTube which is my end result, however admittedly I'm not a fan of the timeline in iMovie where it plays the audio and video when hovering the mouse over a clip...(I prefer the old iMovie 06 style of editing)

Or learn to convert, edit, export or upload directly to YouTube in HD.

Regarding FCE, this is what i've learned so far from readin up on the forum: I connect the Flip Mino HD which records in 720p and have included a photo of the settings I have in Easy Setup. The files from the Flip are transferred to my desktop which are in MP4. I then have to find a program that will convert it to MOV. Then take those MOV files in FCE. From there I edit, which I think it a learning process but I'm looking forward to that. Then, I need to export the whole movie outside of FCE in like a quicktime file (using the highest settings it'll allow me). Then i'll manually upload it to YouTube via the upload page on YouTube, or send it back to iMovie i'd guess. Is this correct? Seems like a whole process when iMovie is quicker...iono. Not bagging on FCE, in fact, I really wanna use it and mess around with it.

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MPEG Streamclip can do your converting, it is even able to do that with a batch list (converting more than one).

www.squared5.com

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm using it now however am stuck on figuring out the settings on what way to format it for conversion. No clue.

Flip Mino HD

1280x720

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What codec have you setup under Options?

AIC?

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Ths is what i've got, haven't changed anything, plus im looking for the best possible settings for the end result of HD quality.

Attached Files: