do you prefer the 2011 or 2012 27-inch iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ThirteenXIII, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Curious if anyone has used both or has both?
    Which one do you prefer? any particular reason why?
    any performance difference between the two high-end 3.4Ghz i7 models?

One benefit the 2011 has are the ability of 3 internal drives. (2xSSD, 1xHDD upto 4TB).

Newer one has great benefits of less components, fusion drive.

2. jpmorais macrumors member

i have the 2012 i7/fusion/gtx680mx i love the graphics card its definitely the best new feature.
    i hate how you can only have 1 2.5 ssd. But not really a problem because we can have thunderbolt ssd drives and they are just as fast.

Another thing is the temperature of the 2012 its way cooler compared to the 2011 furnace IMAC lol

2012 is a better machine overall.

No regrets here!!!

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thank you!

No problems with Image ghosting/retention?

do you do any gaming via Steam? or use Adobe apps? if so is the GPU better with those applications?

4. jpmorais macrumors member

No problem :)

I bought one max out imac for my house and made my boss buy one for work.

I use a lot cs6 apps for work, and its flawless.
    Also do alot of video editing for my job.
    And play some BF3 and its amazing. very pleased with the GPU.

No problems with Image ghosting/retention from my house machine, My job had a first but it went away within 3 days of 10 hours use each day.

Its been proven to be most temporary anyway, most people just dont have any patience, they should use the machine for 10 days b4 they assume for sure they have a Image ghosting/retention.

i had it on my LG RMBP but went away within a week of using it!

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Call me hypocrite.. but lesson learned.

I've had 2011 iMac since July 2011 and had been cynical with the slimmed, new design for quite some time, while my 2011 was an excellent machine it has its own problem, smudged display, failing HDD and GPU. I've had brought my machine in for repair 5 times.

Otherwise my 2011 was a great performer (having Superdrive is nice whether you need it often or not, just in case, you'll never know), GPU was decent (6970M 2GB).

Since it's failed too many times, I've asked Apple to replace my iMac instead of doing another repair and they agree. Apple replaced mine with 2012 iMac with all its glory (i7, 680MX, Fusion Drive) and it rocks!! The machine runs cooler than my old one, much much cooler. And it's faster too! Gaming on BootCamp is a breeze overall.

Cooler temperature = good sign of longevity. So far so good. Great engineering and design change, I miss the DVD drive sometime, but I could live without, I think :)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I owned the 2011 3.4GHZ 27" with the 2GB GPU. A fast Mac indeed, but I replaced it with the same top spec 2012 27" It's faster still, noticeably so. The only difference in spec is that the newbie has 32GB RAM as opposed to the 16GB in my 2011 model.

Real time work, display, and large file processes are all faster on the new machine. The display quality is also improved with the new anti-glare scree. All in all, a very worthwhile upgrade IMO.

7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I love my mid 2011 iMac but the display in the new one is noticeably different as stands out a lot more.

8. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

one thing I like is the crispness and quality of the screens. using one at work and am still on the fence.

Anyone get the 768GB SSD Only option?

I'm considering the 768GB SSD Only option to replace my 256+2TB SSD 2011 iMac and just use a Thunderbolt or FireWire 3TB for data/docs/media.