do you prefer the backlight on or off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tymaster50, Sep 14, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Trivial question I know :p

I'm just excited cause this is my first apple computer that's all but I like the backlight on. It makes the keys feel warmer and I like the lighting.

2. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

On

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I only turn mine on when it's dark and I need to see the keyboard. I still think it looks awesome though!

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

To be honest I never really pay attention to it. I just let the light sensor do its thing. Though I guess that technically means I end up leaving it on.

5. macNwindow macrumors member

off, even when i'm plugged into the wall.

Reasons:
    #1 - theres a buzzing sound when the lights are on in between the "0" & "9" keys; only slight enough for one to hear if the ear is right above the keys.
    #2 - if i unplug my laptop then the battery will drain faster.
    #3 - since it is off the majority of the time, when I do need to use it in the dark then the lighting is more awesome to see because I do not use it all the time.

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I have never used the keyboard backlight ever on any of the PowerBooks/MacBook Pros that I've owned. It just seems an unnecessary power drain, and on top of that I have remapped a fair number of keys on my keyboard, so the keys aren't even what they are labeled as, so looking at them is pointless for me.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mine is on most of the time. Once in awhile, during the day, if I think about it, I'll turn it off or down.

8. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I keep it off or on only setting 1. I'm not sure how much it effects battery I'd love someone to do a desk with the machine with:
    Display at 50%
    Keyboad Off
    Sleep Never
    WiFi

Display 50%
    Keyboard 100%
    Sleep Never
    WiFi

I'm sure it would take a while for these to run, but it would be interesting to see the results.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Most of the time I have it off but there is the few times a year when I have it on. I just find it easier to see the keys and letters better when they are black letters against silver keys instead of light blue/white letters against silver keys.

10. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

On my Air, I keep the keyboard backlight at 1 bar of brightness 24/7. Never off, never any brighter. It's easily one of my favorite features.

11. swish2351 macrumors 6502