Do you prefer the old form factor or new form factor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DoNoHarm, Jul 17, 2010.

?

If your phone had the capabilities of the new iphone, which version would you pick?

1. The white 3GS body

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. The black 3GS body

8 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. The white 4 body

16 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. the Black 4 body

82 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Just curious how many people out there prefer the new form factor to the old form factor. Assume you could get the exact same phone (better screen, processor, etc.) in the new packaging vs. the old packaging, which would you prefer?

I'm throwing in a poll to analyze results.

2. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'm a hypocrit, I admit, I didn't like the iphone 4 when I first saw a sneak peek at it. It's since grown on me. Even the round buttons don't bother me anymore (I held out the longest disliking htem).

I think functionality (like how well it fits in your hand) I stand by my statement that the old form was better as it curved into your hand. But, honestly, the new form isn't that bad and you quickly don't really notice it anymore anyways. So apparently functionality wise not that big a deal.

I think at this point I'd choose the new form over the old one, even though I have to put a case on it due to "fragileness" (ok, I've seen some reports that say it's not near as bad as this forum would have you think but since State Farm no longer insures cellphones I am not taking a chance). If nothing else it just wouldn't feel as much like a new phone if it didn't look different from the old phone to tell the truth and for that reason alone I'd pick the new one.

Though, you gotta wonder... I'm pretty sure Apple chose a glass back for the niftyness value (as well as thinness). Why not carbon fiber as that also has a niftyness factor, I'm pretty sure they could still stay thin (and light), and it has way more of a toughness factor than glass (or plastic)?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Considering you said FORM FACTOR it should just be 3GS Vs iPhone 4, not with colors. But i chose white iPhone 4.

5. drjsway macrumors 6502a

While I could see how there could be a debate in terms of aesthetics, in terms of build quality, who would ever pick the 3GS? 4 feels like a more expensive phone because it IS a more expensive phone.

It's like comparing a Nissan vs a BMW. Some might prefer a Nissan in terms of styling (I'm one of those people), but no one can say Nissan is better built.

6. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Well the votes thus far definitely seem to confirm your view. For me, however, it's not so clear cut. I like the way the 3GS feels in your hand, kind of like a pebble. The 4 is made of more "expensive" materials, but it doesen't feel as natural in my hand. Plus there are the reception issues inherent in the iP4 design.

7. intervenient macrumors 6502a

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Honestly I think the 3GS is a LOT nicer to hold but with a bumper the iPhone 4 comes close and it looks a hell of a lot better so my vote goes to it.

9. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i'm surprised at how few people are voting for the white ip4. My vote went for it. even if there are a lot of people who bought the black ip4, you'd think that there are those holding out for the white ip4...

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think its because most people haven't actually seen a white iPhone 4 in person. Create the poll again after it gets released and I bet it will be different.

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Same here.
    Thats most likely it.

12. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

True, that.