Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweetMystery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Sorry, I was having a hard time thinking of a clearer way to ask this. What I mean is do you for example buy a iphone 5 and wait for the iphone 6 to upgrade then the 7 and so on or do you prefer 5s then, 6s, And then 7s? (Assuming Apple still follows this pattern.) and why? :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sorry, I was having a hard time thinking of a clearer way to ask this. What I mean is do you for example buy a iphone 5 and wait for the iphone 6 to upgrade then the 7 and so on or do you prefer 5s then, 6s, And then 7s? (Assuming Apple still follows this pattern.) and why? :)

I started with the 4, then 5, and now 6+. I skip the s version as I'm not made of money!

But also if you upgrade every time you don't notice much change IMO.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

I'm on the "s" generations. My first was a 5s, and I anticipate the 6s.

I kinda wish I had gotten the 6 when it first came out. While there certainly is more value in using the best incarnation of a certain form factor, going with a non-"s" generation means the form factor can go longer without becoming obsolete and it also makes the next upgrade a bit less tempting.

By the way, did you mean to put this thread in the iPhone sub-forum?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I started with a 4S as it was the first one available from my operator, and then went to the 6. I originally planned to be on the "S cycle" but after the specs were announced I found them underwhelming and decided to hold off for another year. I'm not sure what will happen next time around!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I'm on the straight number and upgrade every 2 years on th iPhone and am on the opposite cycle with my iPad so usually each fall I'm ready for one new device. I just got my 6 plus in 2014 and so t be ready until 2016.

I'm on schedule for a new iPad this fall but as I am now using my iPhone 6 plus 90% of the time. Unless there is something majorly new, I might not upgrade the iPad.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I'm still on my first iPhone 5, so I haven't entirely decided how to handle the upgrade cycle.

My thought is that I perhaps should hold on to a phone until either (a) Apple no longer offers the device iOS updates or (b) The phone's features and performance are no longer satisfactory to me.

stavsetty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
I'm on the original iPhone track. I'm not one of those people that can wait another year for such revolutionizing upgrades.
For example, the difference between the 4, 5, and 6 is so drastic that I couldn't wait another year.

I wish I could upgrade every year, but with my budget that's not possible.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Have been on the original cycle, but it really would not make a difference to me. I just prefer not changing phones every year so the original cycle seems to just work out best.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I was planning on waiting and upgrading my 5s to a 6s but I ran out of patience and got a 6. Now I'll have to wait and see what the 6s gets and see if I'm compelled to get it.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Normally I buy every iPhone. The iPhone 5 was the only one I skipped and I bought another 4S instead after selling my original which was on Verizon.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Although the S improvements are substaintial, I feel that the design improvements are much more upgrade worthy. If I were to be on the S cycle I would be in the mindset of "oh now I finally got it" (in reference to new design) after a year of seeing pictures, videos, and coverage. On the original cycle I am more in the mindset of "I can live without those features"(in reference to new improvements) and living in the hype of a newly designed exterior.

Wolverine311

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
I was on the 4s and 5s cycle and loved it as it focused on improving lags or bugs and made some spec improvements for a better overall experience.

I couldn't help myself and went from 5s to 6 plus for the size. I don't do much in my phone but safari crashes a lot for me and tabs refresh apps get sluggish so the next s's will hopefully get that extra ram. I'm not used to my iPhone experience being hiccupy like this. I will jump back on s next round and remember this feeling as I'm sure the 7 will be yet another temptation but will come with many new "gates" the s will fix.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I'm on the S cycle because of my contract, but I'll admit that sometimes it's really hard to resist upgrading early.

Ringside

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Been on the regular cycle since the 3g. I personally don't need a new phone every year. I feel like technology advances enough every 2 years to make me want a new phone. Also when I get a new one, I like it to be a different form factor than my previous iPhone. Makes it more exciting!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Based on quite a few threads about this, different people upgrade differently for different reasons.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
After getting screwed every other year with the inferior model i.e. 3G, 4, 5, etc..

I am now on the 5s as the 5 was nothing more than a 4s with three extra features and a thumb nail more screen. With that said, I am staying on the "S" cycle for now on.

I'm really excited to see whats going to happen with the 6s later this year. Best decision ever is getting off that old cycle of crap models from the past.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
After getting screwed every other year with the inferior model i.e. 3G, 4, 5, etc..

I am now on the 5s as the 5 was nothing more than a 4s with three extra features and a thumb nail more screen. With that said, I am staying on the "S" cycle for now on.

I'm really excited to see whats going to happen with the 6s later this year. Best decision ever is getting off that old cycle of crap models from the past.

But 5 was much more coming from a 4 which is what many who were going for a 5 were coming from. So they aren't inferior models really depending on what you are upgrading from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.