Do you prefer your dock indicator lights on or off?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Branskins, Jul 20, 2011.

?

Do you prefer your dock indicator lights on or off?

1. On

107 vote(s)
    77.5%
  2. Off

22 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Branskins, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Branskins macrumors 65816

Edit: So clean installs of Lion have the indicator lights off by default. I have changed course and am now interested in whether people actually keep them on or off!

Original post:
    I thought it was a pretty substantial change when the lights defaulted to off. It was simple but it showed where they are going with the future of OS X.

What happened to make them change it back to the old way? I think a lot of people would appreciate it but will not even think to look for it in the settings

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Perhaps user feedback.

3. WiBu macrumors member

I might be wrong, but it might be a side-effect of upgrading from SL. Perhaps on a fresh install they default to off.

4. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone know this to be true? When I explained Lion to my uncle I also told him about the "no more indicator lights" and he was happy because he is always OCD about seeing all the blue dots in the dock, making him close them just to get rid of them. That is what I always did so I welcomed the change

5. davedude macrumors member

6. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I added a poll to see if people have turned them on or off.

I wish a moderator could change my thread title to reflect the change in course of this discussion! I take interest in what people are leaning towards!

7. davedude macrumors member

8. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I have really mangled this thread! I didn't want to make a new one so close to this one.

If it is possible, is there a way to change the poll title and the thread title?

I would like it to be: Do you prefer your dock indicator lights on or off?

9. davedude macrumors member

Haha!

Yes, it is quite mangled :p

As a semi-power user, I prefer them on. I'm kind of OCD about things running in the background.

10. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I've chosen to keep the Dock hidden and indicator lights turned off. Now that the indicator lights aren't actually telling you anymore whether a process is running or not, I find them to be mostly distracting. It looks much cleaner without them. Hopefully a lot of programs will quickly adopt Automatic Termination so that I simply don't have to worry about quitting apps anymore. In the meantime, I've resorted to command-tabbing for checking on currently running applications when I feel that I might be in need of free RAM. And I'll probably continue to spend too much time in Activity Monitor :/

11. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Mine are off. I don't think I need to baby-sit my running apps anymore. With RAM cheap and plentiful I'm good with letting Lion manage my memory.

12. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I know :O! How can I grab the attention of a moderator haha!

I was too OCD about keeping them all closed, so it is nice not having to see all the dots!

13. davedude, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011

davedude macrumors member

I've always hated those dots... right from Leopard. I much prefer the triangles... but then I went with these little circle indicators...

[​IMG]

But I think it DOES look neater without indicators... I'll try that for awhile.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

15. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! If anyone voted before please vote again! :D

Edit: It says I have already voted but it is not counting it!

16. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

On, and they were on by default on a clean install.

17. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

I don't have Lion yet, but I can already tell that I'm going to turn them off. At first I didn't like it, but I just read the really long Ars review of Lion here. They talk about why the application lights are off and how Lion handles its processes this time around and it's very interesting to me.

18. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

->Direct link to the relevant section. Awesome review! :)

19. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Like them on...especially now with Mission Control and multiple desktops...

20. SlappyWhite macrumors newbie

Having a sense of how many processes you have running just seems like a very basic thing and I'm not longing for any paradigm shifts as far as that is concerned.

I just hope that despite of Apple's obsession of dumbing everything down I'll still be afforded some control over this in future versions of the OS.

21. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

The dock and its indicator lights tell you almost nothing about that though?! Try going into Activity Monitor. :)

22. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

The implication is that if you start to think that your computer is running low on memory, you can look at the lights to get an overview of what is going on process wise. It's understandable and It made sense in SL when we would want to close applications that we weren't using in order to keep our computers snappy and not tie up resources. Now that Lion does this for us (with caveats) it's a little bit unnecessary, but understandable all the same.

23. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

On. I like being able to easily see what I have open.