Do you prefer your dock indicator lights on or off?

Do you prefer your dock indicator lights on or off?

• On

Votes: 107 77.5%
  • Off

Votes: 22 15.9%

• Total voters

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Edit: So clean installs of Lion have the indicator lights off by default. I have changed course and am now interested in whether people actually keep them on or off!

Original post:
I thought it was a pretty substantial change when the lights defaulted to off. It was simple but it showed where they are going with the future of OS X.

What happened to make them change it back to the old way? I think a lot of people would appreciate it but will not even think to look for it in the settings

Last edited:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I thought it was a pretty substantial change when the lights defaulted to off. It was simple but it showed where they are going with the future of OS X.

What happened to make them change it back to the old way? I think a lot of people would appreciate it but will not even think to look for it in the settings
Perhaps user feedback.

WiBu

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
I might be wrong, but it might be a side-effect of upgrading from SL. Perhaps on a fresh install they default to off.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I might be wrong, but it might be a side-effect of upgrading from SL. Perhaps on a fresh install they default to off.
Does anyone know this to be true? When I explained Lion to my uncle I also told him about the "no more indicator lights" and he was happy because he is always OCD about seeing all the blue dots in the dock, making him close them just to get rid of them. That is what I always did so I welcomed the change

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Fresh install here. No indicators.
Thanks! I added a poll to see if people have turned them on or off.

I wish a moderator could change my thread title to reflect the change in course of this discussion! I take interest in what people are leaning towards!

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I have really mangled this thread! I didn't want to make a new one so close to this one.

If it is possible, is there a way to change the poll title and the thread title?

I would like it to be: Do you prefer your dock indicator lights on or off?

davedude

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Haha!

Yes, it is quite mangled :p

As a semi-power user, I prefer them on. I'm kind of OCD about things running in the background.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I've chosen to keep the Dock hidden and indicator lights turned off. Now that the indicator lights aren't actually telling you anymore whether a process is running or not, I find them to be mostly distracting. It looks much cleaner without them. Hopefully a lot of programs will quickly adopt Automatic Termination so that I simply don't have to worry about quitting apps anymore. In the meantime, I've resorted to command-tabbing for checking on currently running applications when I feel that I might be in need of free RAM. And I'll probably continue to spend too much time in Activity Monitor :/

basher

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
Mine are off. I don't think I need to baby-sit my running apps anymore. With RAM cheap and plentiful I'm good with letting Lion manage my memory.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Haha!

Yes, it is quite mangled :p

As a semi-power user, I prefer them on. I'm kind of OCD about things running in the background.
I know :O! How can I grab the attention of a moderator haha!

I was too OCD about keeping them all closed, so it is nice not having to see all the dots!

davedude

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I know :O! How can I grab the attention of a moderator haha!

I was too OCD about keeping them all closed, so it is nice not having to see all the dots!
I've always hated those dots... right from Leopard. I much prefer the triangles... but then I went with these little circle indicators...

But I think it DOES look neater without indicators... I'll try that for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I don't have Lion yet, but I can already tell that I'm going to turn them off. At first I didn't like it, but I just read the really long Ars review of Lion here. They talk about why the application lights are off and how Lion handles its processes this time around and it's very interesting to me.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I don't have Lion yet, but I can already tell that I'm going to turn them off. At first I didn't like it, but I just read the really long Ars review of Lion here. They talk about why the application lights are off and how Lion handles its processes this time around and it's very interesting to me.
->Direct link to the relevant section. Awesome review! :)

SlappyWhite

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Having a sense of how many processes you have running just seems like a very basic thing and I'm not longing for any paradigm shifts as far as that is concerned.

I just hope that despite of Apple's obsession of dumbing everything down I'll still be afforded some control over this in future versions of the OS.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Having a sense of how many processes you have running just seems like a very basic thing and I'm not longing for any paradigm shifts as far as that is concerned.
The dock and its indicator lights tell you almost nothing about that though?! Try going into Activity Monitor. :)

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
The dock and its indicator lights tell you almost nothing about that though?! Try going into Activity Monitor. :)
The implication is that if you start to think that your computer is running low on memory, you can look at the lights to get an overview of what is going on process wise. It's understandable and It made sense in SL when we would want to close applications that we weren't using in order to keep our computers snappy and not tie up resources. Now that Lion does this for us (with caveats) it's a little bit unnecessary, but understandable all the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.