iPhone X Do you primarily leave your iPhone on ring, vibrate, or silent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I leave it on vibrate most of the time bc the sound of notifications kind of catches me off guard and makes me feel uncomfortable.

At night I leave it on silent because I don't like hearing the vibrate when I'm falling asleep. It messes up my sleep.

What about y'all?

2. Nugget macrumors 68000

Nugget

My phone hasn’t made a single noise since I got an Apple Watch. Silent wrist vibrations are the only notifications I ever use.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I like that a lot. I feel like I check my iPhone enough to where I probably don't even need vibrations. I mean how long will it be before I check my iPhone? 45 seconds? Lol

4. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

5. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Vibrate always, unless I am expecting a call or message from someone.

6. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Silent. Rings and vibrations are too disruptive, especially with an active family Messages chat. My watch will let me know if there’s something I need to pay attention to. Other than that, when the phone’s screen lights up, I can tell if it’s something I need/want to take a deeper look at.

7. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Vibrate on working days, ring over the weekends. I don’t worry about it much because if I’m wearing the  watch then no matter what the phone will be silent and I’ll still get notifications.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Can someone please explain to me how Apple Watch plays into the notification game? I don’t have 1 but it seems like many people hear are using it as their go to device for notifications and I am just wondering how it exactly works and why it is so useful/beneficial

@akash.nu @eoblaed @Nugget

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Ring and vibrate, on weekends on vibrate only.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Silent with my Apple Watch during office hours and ring at home.

11. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I want to preface my answer with the acknowledgement that the watch is a bit more of a niche product than many of the other Apple products. What I, and others, find of value and experience as a quality of life enhancement may not necessarily be seen as such by others.

So, for me, without the watch, I would have to leave my phone on vibrate if I wanted to be alerted to phone calls, texts, VIP emails, etc. When one of those events happens, my phone would necessarily vibrate in my pocket. This is a large device, and the vibration is pretty intrusive. It also tells me nothing other than "hey a thing happened that you may or may not want to know about." I then have to dig the phone out of my pocket, check the screen, and see if it's something I should take care of now, or if it's something I can address later. Quite often, it's something I'll deal with later, but I'm still required to get my phone out of my pocket and return it, every time it buzzes, as I have no way of knowing until I look at it. With an active set of communications, this can happen frequently.

With the watch, this changes in subtle, but (for me) meaningful and helpful ways. As I can keep my phone on 'silent', that large device up against my thigh no longer buzzes vigorously every time something comes in. Instead, I get a significantly less disruptive tap on my wrist. That's the first benefit. The second is that now I only have to glance at my watch to see what the notification is about. That tells me instantly all I need to know concerning the notification: what is it? do I need to deal with this now? can it wait? And if it's something I need to deal with now, I can very often do it without having to pull my phone out of my pocket (eg. if it's a phone call, and I have my AirPods in, I can just tap the 'answer' button on the phone and I'm now in the call; if it's a text message that can be responded to with a simple answer, a couple of taps on the watch and it's done). Not only is it far nicer for me, it's also nicer for those I might happen to be in the company of when those notifications come in.

For me, and for many others, this difference in modality makes dealing with frequent notifications noticeably less troublesome and provides a definite quality of life bonus.

12. unibility macrumors 6502a

I never leave my iPhone on silent. I use a silent ringtone as my default and set a ringtone for those who I would I notified.

13. TWD98j macrumors regular

For my personal phone - iPhone X - I put it on ring BUT it is always on DND too. I only have a select few contacts who are able to get through and get my phone to ring if they call. Since I am not the type to answer calls from numbers I do not recognize, I send everyone right to voicemail. They can leave a message and then I decide whether to call back or not. My Apple Watch (S3) is always on DND too.

For my work phone - iPhone 7 - it stays on vibrate. Unfortunately I'm obligated to answer that one when it rings no matter what.

14. ericwn macrumors 68020

The watch shows you the notifications right on your wrist. You can then decide if you want to take your phone out to respond or you can use the watch for some responses.

For people with many notifications this can be a time saver.

15. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

When I am in public places that a phone ringing could be disruptive or disrespectful, like my office at work, doctors' offices, other offices, libraries, and places like that, my phone is on vibrate.

Everywhere else, the ringer is turned on.

When I am at home, I hardly ever check my phone, so if I forget to turn the ringer back on, there is a good chance that I will miss messages and calls.

16. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Silent and DND. I'll check my notifications when I want.

17. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

iPhone is set to silent with the Apple Watch haptics set to prominent.

18. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

Pretty much always have mine on vibrate since I have my Apple Watch.

19. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

On vibrate when I travel and listen to music. On ring+vibrate when it's just sitting on my desk at work/home.

20. fauxtog macrumors newbie

This.

21. felixroqu3 macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

Completely silent. Also have keyboard click sounds + the swoosh sound it makes when you send texts all off.

22. Refasin macrumors newbie

Refasin

there isn´t a way that i could have the notification sound on my watch and my iphone?

23. shenfrey macrumors 68000

24. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Silent/vibrate. My work phone goes on loud/vibrate and DND overnight.