Do you protect your screen during transit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yuanmoons, Aug 9, 2009.

1. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

I have a new uMBP 15" and i take it with me pretty much everywhere.

With an old Black MB (& MBP i think) i saw feint rub marks on the screen when looking at an angle - where some of the keyboard had rubbed against the screen. It was probably the bag i had at that time which meant MB knocked against my hip from time to time (I have a much better bag now - Crumpler Cheesy Disco - so its on my back and the screen side is always facing out.)

But does anyone put a protector between the screen & keyboard when they carry it around?

Should i use the microfibre cloth you get with the MBP?
    Will this increase or decrease the chances of rub?

Do i need to do this?
    Does anyone do anything along these lines?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use a Radtech Cloth, best eight dollars I have spent in a while. It is definitely needed if you are going to use a plastic keyboard cover.

3. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I don't use a keyboard cover, but I do use the Radtech screen protector. It's just the right thickness to provide protection without being so thick that it puts stress on the hinge.

4. Panzo macrumors 6502

is that needed even with a moshi cover ><???

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I used it with my iSkin Pro Touch, I doubt that the Moshi could avoid the same problem. First is that because the cover has added extra height to the keyboard, when it close it becomes in contact with the screen a lot more often. Also because, unlike the keyboard which is attached, if your computer gets turned upside down with it on, it hits the screen. Also the plastic seems to collect hand oil a lot better then the keys do. On an older MacBook Pro the staining occurred six months after starting to use the iSkin. I purchased a new one in November, used the Radtech cloth everytime, screen looks like new. I am not sure what it would be like if I cleaned my screen nightly and didn't use a cloth, that might avoid the stains, but I don't know and am not willing to risk it.

6. runciter macrumors newbie

7. killersi macrumors newbie

I use Shaggymac

http://www.shaggymac.com/

I keep it the say way each time I put it on the keyboard. I have seen where it will transfer the key imprints if you use both sides. Its almost like the shaggymac will absorb the oil a bit and transfer it to the screen, if you keep flipping sides.

If you put it on the same way each time there are no problem