Do you re-gift?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by abijnk, Dec 10, 2007.

?

Do you re-gift?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No

47 vote(s)
    73.4%
  1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Just a simple question, do you re-gift? For those who don't know the terminology, this is when you get a gift that you really don't want, so you give it away as a gift to someone else.
    If you do, what is something you would give away?

I have certainly done this before, but not too often as I am a packrat. :D

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope, it feels tacky.
    However, I have taken wine or alcohol people have brought to my house for parties (give your host a bottle type thing) and given them away to others with the disclaimer that I got it from xxxx and I simply have too much!

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't this what eBay is for?

4. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Exactly right!

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

6. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've done it in the past with baby clothes. It's practically impossible to use all the clothes you're given for a child before they become too big for them. Those suckers grow so fast! Other than that, I usually just donate or sell the rest.

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

make ebay an option.

I do occasionally re-gift but most often ebay it or donate.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i usually don't do this, but i may have once or twice.

i'm a packrat also, even though i'm trying to change my habits

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I do sometimes, but only if it's new and I think they'll make better use of it.

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I can honestly say I've never done that. For the most part all of my Friends know what to get me, and always give me great gifts (and usually spend too much :)) And my family tends to give me Money.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

People wouldn't want the crap I get. Plus I tell everyone I know giving me presents exactly what I want, links, description, etc. I put a disclaimer saying, if you are going to purchase me anything not on this list, I will be thankful, but will return it.

I am picky about what I want.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have once regifted.

I bought myself something on vacation, and then when a friend's birthday came around, I gave it to him instead.

Is that re-gifting? I felt a bit odd about doing this. I did this because it was a bit too late to get him another gift, and I really couldn't think of anything to give him anyway.

14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i don't re-gift, but if i receive something i don't like or won't ever use, i'd either sell it on or take it back to the store (if possible) and exchange it for goods or store credit.

15. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

I've never really had anything suitable for that, but as it's one of those families (and extended families) who tells everyone everything, it'd be silly to do so. They'd suss me out in seconds :eek:

One of my aunt/uncle pairings does though. My parents don't really get on with them - huge clash of personalities. They'll put up with each other if they meet but will sit there exchanging sarcastic side-shots all day, appearing to be sickeningly polite but with thinly veiled sarcasm and venom. They never openly insult each other even if left alone, only side shots, I think neither of them have the bottle!

As with tradition they exchange gifts at Christmas (it's one big family, they have to), and not only do this aunt and uncle re-gift, they send them right back to my parents :eek: :D Everyone knows they do it, it's stupid.

I'd say if ever you do do that (and aren't doing it as a deliberate "f-you"), make sure you're sending the re-gift to someone else, in fact make sure you send it to someone who couldn't possibly know or communicate with the one you got it from!

So would I? Probably not. The risk of someone finding out is too great, and I can't see anyone getting me something that is suitable for it. I tend to use the generic gifts like the obligatory shower gel and deodorant packs myself (who came up with that idea though? It's like they're saying "you stink, so I got you something to wash yourself with")

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a few times. but it was something i didn't need and knew would be put to better use by who i was giving it too, and of course still brand new.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't think that counts as "re-gifting". It may have been a move of desperation, but it wasn't the same as giving somebody something you disliked in the first place.....that's the essence of re-gifting

18. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I don't do it, I have the masses about of **** under my bed to prove it xD

19. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I don't think that's necessarily true. Perhaps, that's why a lot of people re-gift, but I wouldn't say that it should be the essence of a re-gift. As PoD mentioned, there are instances where re-gifting is not done out of dislike. I've also re-gifted baby clothes in the hopes that someone else will be able to use them when I could not. I liked the stuff I gave away, but I just couldn't use it and didn't have the space to store it. The stuff I wouldn't use I donate or sell and sometimes return. I just don't give stuff to people I don't like. :p

20. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I am not a re-gifter in the sense that I will give unwanted or unneeded gifts to someone else as a gift. I have sold items I didn't need (mostly DVDs that I already have and people buy for me and I got a watch one time that I didn't need and frankly didn't want).

21. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I have re-gifted a few things.

Floriflee, wait until your baby is a few years older and you get a lot of toys. Sometimes you know your child doesn't need it or won't really play with it and it really is easier when you have a children's party to go to - this way you don't have to return it or sell it.

What kids get as gifts sometimes is complete junky, plasticky crap. In that case, I just try to return it or let my kids play with it until it breaks, which is usually only a few days, then get rid of it. I wouldn't pass on junk.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

what you do with the baby clothes is what I would call "sharing" as opposed to "re-gifting" but if you want to call it that, then I'll modify my views about re-gifting to include a positive version of it based on your comments

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was going to say no, but I'm planning on giving my girlfriend my Xbox (not for xmas, just as a plain old gift) since I don't use it much these days and she's bored at uni. But that's the only occasion so far :cool: