Do you re-install Mavericks on your MBPr from time to time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I just did today. Everything seems to run smoother and snappier.

It just seems after a few months things get not-as-good as when you have a fresh install.

I am running 10.9.3 currently.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Never had to do a reinstall of any version of OSX and I've used them all

3. bkribbs macrumors 65816

No but I do plan on wiping and restoring certain files back after Yosemite comes out.

4. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

5. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Well, there are certain situations where reinstalling fixes the problem.

With that said, in 3 years of using OS X I've only reinstalled once. Went through a number of different Mac products, every time I used my Time Machine backup to restore, never had a problem.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are describing sounds more like something you are installing after the fresh install that is slowing things down. There is no reason you should need to reinstall the same OS version.

7. Budiosx macrumors regular

Budiosx

I installed mavericks since released and i have not reinstall it until now

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Of course, but he has no problems, he does it for the "fresh" feel of the OS.
    And he gets a Placebo that the system is faster.

My Macbook Pro runs a backup from my old 2008 Plastic Macbook, 2008 Macbook Al. Unibody and 2011 Macbook Pro. I have 11GB free in OS X because I have 3 partitions : OS X, OS X Yosemite and Windows 8.1.

On this machine, I have my original user, files, settings from my first Mac and junk, files and so on from the other two Macs I owned as the years passed by. And as I mentioned, not much free space left.

The computer screams. No slowdowns.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, unless I'm going to sell the computer, and bring it back to factory conditions.

10. sprezz macrumors regular

sprezz

i went from snow leopard all the way to mavericks without reinstalling ever. yes, that macbook pro 17 inch from 2009 is holding up very well, but then i messed up something in icloud and couldn't use my own ubiquity container while developing... no idea what happened. after days of messing around i finally reinstalled everything from scratch. and yes, Mavericks does seem faster, but then again, i have about 350GB less crap on my system now...

11. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Definitely not a placebo. If you think an OS running for 4 years will be just as snappy as one that has just been freshly re-installed, then you're certainly mistaken. If you were to do a performance test (benchmarks) I doubt you'd see too much of a difference, but if you were to look at things such as response to adjustments in rendering, response to clicks, animations, I'm sure you would see a slight difference. Mostly things that effect the HDD/SSD though - registry type functions. These type of things occur on all OS' not just Windows, and I have also witnessed it on OS X - which isn't magic.

Akin to this situation, I used to own an android device that I would flash new roms on every few weeks, and every time after a couple weeks the new OS feel would subside due to heavy integration of system connections, throwing pictures onto the phone, deep seeded setting adjustments, etc.

One way of thinking of it is that the OS collects "cache" over time, and due to these connections (cache) the machine is bogged down, kinda like what happens to your brain regarding certain knowledge retrieval (regarding pure efficiency). Re-installing the OS eliminates these connections, and therefore functions are quicker.

I will say that this is not something you should get into a habit of doing. I don't re-install my system regularly, only after several years if I start to witness problems, or want to try to dissuade myself from buying an updated version of the product. However to say that an OS is exactly the same the day you set it up, as to several years later is complete baloney.