Do You Read a lot on Your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Feb 3, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So I'm @ the library right now, getting some work done. My MBP comes with me literally everywhere, everyday. Sometimes it stays in the car, other times not.

Right now i'm killing some time, and opened up my MBP (13inch). I have numerous PDF "books" on my Mac. I couldn't help but think about the iPad and the ebook thing it has how glossy the glass screen will be, especially out in the sun. I mean, I have a ton of PDF e-books. I've read some, most not because I'm not too big a fan of reading on the computer screen. @ one point I printed out one of these PDF book files I have but printed out like 96 pages!

The irony of it all is that here at the library i'm surrounded by thousands of books.

I was checking out the Kindle DX and it seems like an awesome e-book reader....BUT....it lacks the wifi, web browsing, etc.

Now, I don't want to divert away from this main topic here which is..."Do you read on your Macbook?"

I don't mean web browsing but a good lengthy amount of text? I guess reading news articles for thirty minutes or hours on end counts too. And rather than starting another iHate/iLike iPad threads, figured i'd ask the simple question if you as Macbook Pro (cause we have glass screens) owner do reading on it?

2. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I read the news and forums websites like this one on my mac but I couldn't see myself using a laptop for regular reading. Something about looking at text on a screen for very long makes me nauseous, particularly if I have to scroll through it.

3. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

News sites, blogs, forums, sure, I can spend hours on my Mac looking at those. Articles, papers, books, etc....I still prefer to have a hard copy. It's still easier to annotate or take notes in a margin, and much simpler to switch back and forth rapidly between non-consecutive pages instead of scrolling up and down through a PDF file.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Seems like the iPad might be just for you. :)

For this same reason, I'm tempted to have one as well haha.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I spend 14+ hours a day reading on my MBP. I can't stand hard copy.... rarely touch paper of any kind and even more rarely print anything.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

my job and my studies require looking up numerous things in ebooks. I have several gb of them too. The ipad seems ideal for this but since I am already carrying my mac I think it would be an overkill.

The kindle is really great but, as you said, I'd like the extra feature of the ipad. People keep dismissing the pads because they want new macs or have no use for them, but IMO it's a brilliant idea.

7. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I have to read a lot of scientific articles in pdfs for my research. I try to read most of them on my MBP only because then I don't lose them (and all the notes and highlighting) later. It keeps me more organized but I do admit it isn't quite as nice as reading from physical paper.