Do You Really Anticipate Problems w/Leopard??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ~J~, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I've always heard that one of the advantages of OSX is that it is very stable and Apple is very good about making sure software is virtually bug-less before releasing it. Heres my quandry:

I REEEEEEALLY want to install & run Leopard at 7:30pm... BUT I have to make sure that some programs work (Final Cut Express HD, for one).

So... is Apple's reputation up to par on this? Or do some people give them too much credit? I've recently become a little gun-shy from seeing so many people say they are going to install it on a separate drive or partition first.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I had ZERO problems when Tiger first came out. No bugs whatsoever. I think it's perfectly safe to upgrade as soon as it's out.

I think it's wise to backup what you have first but that's really just a fail-safe measure.

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I am sure there are going to be some bugs here and there but I am pretty sure 10.5.1 will get rid of them soon after, I am worried about third party apps compatibility though

4. halfgoon macrumors newbie

I can't see any reason why fairly recent Apple products like Final Cut HD shouldn't play nice with Leopard. If I were you, I wouldn't worry. As ivi7 said, it's probably more likely for 3rd party apps to have a couple of bugs with the new OS.

5. Bmoney017 macrumors member

Any idea if VLC or NeoOffice will work with leopard?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely there will be some, though maybe not as ugly as the Panther problems and FW800 drives.

If you hop on board with a production level machine, you may be asking for trouble.

It's usually best to wait, on only place the new OS on a drive that has a complete OS backup on another drive.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm using a production machine and things seem to be doing ok considering the radical changes to the (new) Kernel.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Those are usually the things that can bite you in the ass, when the underpinnings change radically.

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Can't comment on VLC, but NeoOffice works with the betas...

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

im sur ethere will be a couple of bugs but i am still going to install asap, i"am sure they ll have a bug fix in the first couple of weeks no?

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can bet your life that Apple's own apps (as long as they are the newest versions, and up to date....) will work perfectly well on standard Apple-shipped hardware running Leopard.

So, FCS 2, iLife '08, iWork '08, FCE 3.5, Aperture 1.5, Shake 4, Logic Studio 8.... will all work on Macs running 10.5.0, as long as they are all up to date via Apple's software update app.
    Earlier versions will probably work (updated!!) but I'm not sure.

Most 3rd party apps work too.
    Just a couple of examples I hear which work on a G5 with 10.5, build 9A559:
    - VLC 0.8.6c
    - Virtual PC 7.0.1 (wow...)
    - Adobe CS 3
    - Google Earth 4.0

... so it seems you're gonna be alright :)