Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I'm travelling to the US later this month so I've been looking to buy a US adaptor for the charging block I've got.

All you can buy from Apple is the World Travel Adaptor Kit for £29. This includes five different plugs. Only one of which I want. Apple could easily sell plugs individually.

Think of the wasted packaging, the wasted plastic, the wasted material, the extra weight in shipping the item.

Oh, but think of the extra profit!

Reactions: lugworm

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I'm travelling to the US later this month so I've been looking to buy a US adaptor for the charging block I've got.

All you can buy from Apple is the World Travel Adaptor Kit for £29. This includes five different plugs. Only one of which I want. Apple could easily sell plugs individually.

Think of the wasted packaging, the wasted plastic, the wasted material, the extra weight in shipping the item.

Oh, but think of the extra profit!

Or perhaps they're thinking of all the wasted packaging, wasted transport costs in shipping multiple SKUs of what is essentially the same item, wasted time spent dealing with people who wanted a US and European connector but only got a US one etc.

There's invariably more to this then you can realize. Apple scrutinize their supply chain costs carefully and probably make more money this way than separating them into totally separate SKUs.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I’m confused...

I have numerous USB charging blocks all over the house. Anywhere I might sit down, there’s a USB charging block waiting there.

The average price is $5 (U.S. Dollars).

It would never occur to me to invest in an adapter to convert a 240 volt adapter to a 120 volt socket when a 120 volt USB plug is only $5.

It doesn’t make economic sense. As everything comes with a USB power adapter these days, most likely wherever you are staying will have one you can use.

A USB port is a USB port. I use them interchangeably with no issues.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Or perhaps they're thinking of all the wasted packaging, wasted transport costs in shipping multiple SKUs of what is essentially the same item, wasted time spent dealing with people who wanted a US and European connector but only got a US one etc.

There's invariably more to this then you can realize. Apple scrutinize their supply chain costs carefully and probably make more money this way than separating them into totally separate SKUs.

Excuse me, I'm pretty sure armchair CEOs have a much better understanding of supply chain costs based on conjecture only. That's why they're here complaining rather than running a company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.