Do you really have to be a student to use the Student Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Greenhoe, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I Just purchased a 24 ACD off the apple student discount site and all I was asked was the name of my university.

Do you even really have to be a student to use the apple student discount store because they didn't ask for anything besides the name of my School and it seems like anyone can just go in there say they go to a school and use the discount.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They normally check your details with your school/college after ordering and if they dont find anything then they call you to ask you for more information.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes you must be a student or an educator (hence the rules which are clearly stated). Many people abuse that don't qualify abuse the discount and that will likely make it either fade away or become less beneficial in the future. A limited number of people get audited for further information and if it cannot be provided, they are charged the full price.

4. Moriarty macrumors 6502

That's just plain dishonest. If you aren't a student, you don't qualify for the education discount, so you shouldn't be trying to get it.

Shame on you. I hope they pull you up for it.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They used to do random/spot checks, so you take a bit of a risk, and it's attached to your Apple account forever.

It depends a lot on what country you're from. In some countries, you need to pick your university, and then you'll be asked for your student number. That's it. In other countries, you just need to select your state/province, and the university, and you'll be taken to your university's store on the Apple website. It may even say the name of your university at the top of the store's page.

However, they do random checks in many places. I know they do in the US and Canada.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've had to show my student ID once for an online purchase and show a recent schedule another time for an online purchase. In-store purchases always required my valid ID.

Three other purchases made online were never checked. My first one however was.

7. dtx macrumors newbie

i had a friend come to the Apple Store with me and use her ID. Saved me a ton of money, and got her a iPod Touch for cheap too!

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

order it on line and stop posting question for the nanny squad here to castigate you. I've ordered it here when I was in undergrad, when I was out of school, now I'm in grad school at the moment.

9. blitzraider macrumors member

In some countries they don't check

I just ordered the 17incher from the online store here in HK. They don't ask anything at all. The thing is many people here in HK beleive the education discount is only accessible through schools. But in fact, the online store is barely regulated.

It really depends on the country I guess

I can't wait!

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It isn't regulated because Apple is lenient about many things the ed store being one of them along with user licenses for the OS and other software. Unfortunately, it also seems like Apple is reducing the education price drops (as seen in the latest Apple notebooks).

11. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

I am an actual student, I was just staying that there was no checks to make sure that I wasn't lying and that if I wasn't a student it would of been just as easy for me to purchase it with the student discount.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

They do check after purchases made with associated school on a random basis.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The checks for the Education Discount are random, but the Student Developer Discount must be approved directly.

14. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Probably because too many people are using it when they are not actually students. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! :D

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Probably why they also got RID of the iPod education discount a few years back.

16. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

In '95, I had to produce my student ID to buy my Powerbook. Since I was a student, it was no problem.

It's one of those "the few will ruin a good thing for the many" type situation.