Do You REALLY Need a Screen Protector or Cover?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thetrainman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. thetrainman macrumors member

Ever since my first smart phone, I never had a screen protector, nor a case.
    I know people may think that you've for a £500 phone, a £10 case and screen protector is the least you need to do, but I can't stand looking at a phone with a screen protector as the ones I have seen always seem to have bubbles, or dirt trapped, or start fraying like the plastic cover that comes on the phone anyway.

Same with cases.
    My Nokia Lumia 920 has survived the occasional bump in my pocket. It stays in my pocket with nothing else (I don't understand those people who put keys in with their phone!). It doesn't stay in my back pocket and hasn't really been dropped, although has slid off the side of the sofa a couple times maybe. Certainly nothing on hard floor!

Do I really need a screen protector or case?

2. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Of course the phones really don't need a case or screen protector. However it's all a matter of personal preference. I've always used cases for my iPhones mainly for better grip. I usually go with super thin cases. With my iPad I have a skin for better grip. As for screen protectors - I can get a super install and pride myself with perfect alignments with no dust or bubbles. But with the 6 plus no matter what screen protector you get it is noticeable due to the design. I was determined not to use a protector this time around. But within the first month I could see tiny hairline scratches. I'm very careful with my phones and am careful where I put them in my purse - no keys or anything rough. I've come to realize from the area where I first notice the scratches that the cause is using the phone with earrings on. I'm not going to take off my earring when I use my phone. So I either put up with the scratches or put on a protector.

Just my experience. So do I need a case or protector to use my phone - of course not, but it's my personal preference.

3. Tgrey macrumors regular

If you don't mind those scratches, most of them only visible under lights, you can leave it naked

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Do you? If you don't mind getting hairline scratches and looking at dings, then don't use phone protection. It's preference.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Same as with any thread on this topic -- it's a matter of preference. You have to make the call based on what you think are reasonable measures to protect your device. You can't poll others to determine what you should do. For some it means no screen protector. For others it means a screen protector. For some it means a case. For some it means damage coverage. One size does not fit all.

6. redshadow macrumors member

With as simple as options like applecare are today, I have been using my 6+ naked. I'd rather not spend the 49 dollars on a case and just protect my phone for 2 years, knowing that I get a new device when I take it in and pay my deductible.

A lot of these cases are really thin, and for some reason, people like to forget that even if you have a case on your phone, cases don't just magically dissipate all of that energy. I've never seen the point in them.

7. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I have a glass screen protector on mine with a thin Amazon case and I've been happy with it. Just sucks I'm unable to dock my phone on my iHome and my case is only 0.4mm thin. This reason is why I've always stayed away from cases, for not being able to use my device to the fullest while still using a case. I have a lot of accessories for my device that are incompatible with a case. Sooner or later I'll end up dropping this case and just going with a body protector. Best of both worlds IMO. Protection from scratches and dings as well as being virtually naked. In order to protect from drops you need to have a HUGE protective case, if you have a thin or semi thin case chances are with most cases it won't protect your phone from drops anyway, you Midas well have dropped it naked.

8. Paco II macrumors 65816

Completely. Also previous experiences come into play. Learned from a previous iphone that the metal rivets near the front pocket on most of my pants *will* scratch the screen. Also, since I like to put my phone face down, the small investment in a nice glass screen protector gives me some peace of mind.

9. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

How can a semi thin case NOT protect from drops, at least somewhat? I'd rather drop my phone with a case on then without a case.

10. azhava macrumors regular

IMO there's no one size fits all answer to this question. Do *I* need a case? Yes, and the most protective case I can find, because my phone goes a lot of dirty, dusty, wet places, gets bounced around and generally leads a pretty rough life. Do *you* need a case? That's for you to decide based upon your lifestyle. You know better than anybody else how your phone gets treated.

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I had a screen protector on my first iPhone years ago, but never since. The feel and look of the screen are so nice I really do not want to cover it. I always have my phone alone in a front pocket, and have had no problems with breakage or scratches. Another way that I think about it is this: Why have a perfect screen that is never seen, and use the phone with a less than perfect screen (covered) every day.

Screens are kind of like seat covers. Why pay for a great interior and then cover the seats with a cover?

12. jacobiss macrumors newbie

I used one on my 5 for a long time. It's only after I took it off did I realize how smooth the screen is and how I regret I used a screen protector for so long. :eek:

13. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

I've also used screen protectors on all my previous iDevices and purchased a few different ones (glass and film) for the iphone 6's....just didn't like how it doesn't cover the rounded edges....tossed them and been loving it without any screen protector

14. Paco II macrumors 65816

For those feeling this way, you almost certainly have not tried some of the higher quality glass protectors. I actually think my Zagg glass feels better than the iPhone's glass. And it does a better job at hiding fingerprints as well. Not trying to convince anyone to use one, but these are nothing like the film kind.

15. briannaharbor macrumors member

OP, i would definitely recommend getting a screen protector. I just go to amazon, and type in "iphone 6 screen protector" and grabbed the cheapest one out of the top three. It's a great screen protector, I can barely tell that it's there at all. It has kept my phone safe, and has a lifetime replacement warranty. For $6, that's not bad at all.

16. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

if you're planning on selling it years from now, it's best to put screen protector and case.

17. OutSpoken, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

When you have small children that like to use your idevices playing swiping games, a screen protector comes in very handy. I first learned this when I got my iPad 3 and put a free screen protector on which came with the case I bought at the time. My children were playing a game like fruit ninja I believe swiping ferociously on the screen. I put the iPad up to the light and you could see LOADS of scratches on the screen from tiny finger nails:( but thank god for the screen protector:D

Which resulted in me buying one for my Air2 but strangely I'm yet to fit one on my replacement iPhone 6:eek: but I did put one on my first one, the thing is the screen protector on the 6 looks really ugly because of the seamless edge screen.

18. upbraid macrumors member

19. Dizle macrumors 6502

20. scott99 macrumors 6502a

IF you don't have Apple Care, I would always suggest a case/screen protector. I always suggest tempered glass screen protectors, because they don't detract from the screens beauty or usability one iota. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but ever since my first iPod, I ALWAYS had cases to protect them. Odds are, during the life of your smartphone, you are going to drop it, or someone you know may drop it, the odds are against you NOT having an accident with your smartphone. So why not protect it ?

I see so many people walking around with totally destroyed phones, not just screens, but complete damage to the point that you can see the insides of their phones, and I shake my head, and say to myself, those people shouldn't have smartphones. To me, honestly, it's pretty idiotic not to protect your investment.

21. Jazper macrumors 6502a

I use one, rather have one than get scratches on the actual screen itself also saves it from smashing (hopefully). :p

Until you scratch it or smash it.

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

No screen protector. No Apple care for me. Had the plus since launch day and no complaints about scratches and such.

23. Ann P macrumors 68020

No micro scratches have appeared?

24. Paco II macrumors 65816

Worrying about micro scratches? Is this entire thread about reselling an iPhone in the future to pay for the next model?

25. Ann P macrumors 68020

Nope, I keep most of my phones or give it to family. Can't speak for everyone but micro scratches and scruff marks bother me.