Do you really need a screen protector shield with the new 3Gs iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by WizardHunt, Jun 22, 2009.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Do we really need to get a screen protector shield for the new 3gs iPhone? I mean it already has the antifinger print built into the screen and isn't it made out of glass and I always thought that glass is not easily scratched. What is everyone's comment on this?

2. jaycebeasley macrumors newbie

jaycebeasley

Not necessary. It just depends on if you 'need' that extra little bit of protection to put your mind at ease. But it's not worth the extra cost (however little it may be) to me.

3. larapumkin macrumors regular

yea it is, if you are not a person who can stand with lots of scratch marks..

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I am using a shield (came w/ my case), but I don't know if that's accurate. The iPhone screen isn't known for drawing massive scratches.

5. larapumkin macrumors regular

well im not with new 3GS so not so sure about 3GS but 3G, it was advertised as it would not get scratches easily but my friend who havn got any screen on it he does got hairlines all over. well yea it's not THAT visible but it sometimes buggs when it reflects lights at some point...

6. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I put on a switcheasy screen sheild today. The phone originally would stick to my finger a little and now its ironically smooth as glass, go figure.

The oleophobic screen is BS as it smudges like crazy. Entirely marking Bullsh*t. I think screen shields not only provide protection, but also makes it less "sticky."

If you want to protect the screen from impact, this obviously wont' help and looking at something like an otterbox or element case is a better option.

7. noneother macrumors member

I used an invisibleshield on my 2G iphone, my wife did not like it on hers, so we took it off. her screen is perfect.. and trust me, she doesn't take care of anything...

we both love the shield on the back.

I am not putting one on my 3GS screen, I am sure I will be upgrading almost every year anyway...

I also like the way the 3GS screen feels.. very soft.. and wipes clean with my sunglass wipe.

wife hates the 3GS screen, has asked me to put the shield screen cover on.

8. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I am still torn whether or not to put a protective screen shield or not. And if I did which one is best that makes it not have any kind of orange peel after it is applied. I mean I would want protection if I put one on, but at the same time I want no interference at all with seeing the screen, no cloudy display, no orange peel, no distortion etc... Get what I mean? Is their a brand out there that does that?

In the past I have used Invisible Shield but it does have a very slight orange peel effect to it if viewed at a angle when I put it on my iPod Touch.
    Any ideas?