Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many MMS are sending/receiving a week?

• Total voters

kits

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
wow. Such hostility.

Actually, this says more about YOU/YOUR EMPTY LIFE than about the need or not for MMS. I am sorry to hear about your mundane life and lack of friends/spontaneity.
Maybe with a different outlook/more tolerance it will get better.

+1.

kits

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
I miss mms :( Me and my friends used to send them quite alot, just for silly funny things or occasionally you'd want it for something useful eg you've been sent to the shops for something and you have no idea if what you're holding in your hands is actually the right thing.

And yes email is all fine and dandy, except most of the people I used to send mms to don't have email on their phones. (and amusingly enough the few that do can't receive pics)

I almost use it for similar reasons. I remember how much I use while shopping. Still, e-mail won't do it if you mix audio clips with it for fun. Like wishing on birthday's. My kids make very cool looking MMS by mixing text, clipart, sound recordings and pictures.

I guess MMS looks stupid to some just like Social Networks look to many:). Just don't use it if you don't like it. But, I bet there will be at least one day when you will wish you had that feature.

I know so many people who have phones with T9 texting but they have no idea about it or what it can do. For those of us who use it, it can even beat QWERTY in convenience.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
MMs is not old technology. How is it old tech?

How can MMS be an old tech, but it's alternative, email, is not? For those who that think MMS is an old tech, please respond, as I'm a bit confused by this statement.

slashjunior

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
This has been discussed over and over. I think us iPhone users live in quite a sheltered world. My friend asked me if I could send a picture across to him the other day and luckily he had a Blackberry so I could just send it via email.

Most people I know, the answer is no. Oh okay, can you send it to me using bluetooth...er no sorry. I can send it to you via email though?...er forget about it then. It is a pain for them because they have to wait to get to a computer and then get the picture from the computer to the phone which is a hassle for most phones.

I do agree that MMS is a pointless and email is better but the fact is that most people use it because the carriers and/or the phone manufacturers haven't given us an easy way to email on consumers handsets. Probably because MMS is a nice source of revenue for the carriers. MMS and bluetooth file transfers should have been in from the start. Only an Apple fan-boy would defend Apple's decision not to add those basic features which should be on a smart phone.

kas23. I agree I don't think MMS is old tech. I think email was around before MMS. That is the thing though email was around beforehand and is better than MMS. MMS just feels like a pointless technology which was mainly used to make some money for the carriers when they could have easily used email. The only thing about email is that it is not always "push". However, surely SMS and MMS are pretty much like push email so it can't be that hard offering push email to all handsets.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
I don't "need" MMS, but I hate w/ an undying passion "viewmymessage.com" Absolutely the worst, least functional site i've ever used. Not only is it a ridiculous pain to have to either go back and forth between Safari and SMS, or even just to write down the TWO separate random passwords. Then half the time you get a "an error has occurred while retrieving your message" error.

Ridiculous. That ALONE is why I'm ready for full MMS support.

Set Abominae

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Since I got my phone I have never really wanted to use MMS but I do think it is needed if only to stop people from bitching about the iPhone lacking it

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Since I got my Q9 Global, I think I have sent and received a total of 5 MMS. I just don't use it very much.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
MMS is part of your text plan so its not an extra charge. If sender and receiver both have smart phones/or phones with push email, then MMS may be pointless. The reality is that the majority of phone users do not have email or data plans. Thus, if I need to send a pic to my friend (and I want her to see it right now and even respond), and she is using a regular phone, I would do it by MMS. Is that so hard to understand. Also MMS is a standard feature on phones, just check any carriers website and you will see it.

Not sure if anyone has responded to this but... you can send people SMS by email by doing the phone_number_of_the_person@domain.com (EX: 4123214212@txt.att.net).

Now for MMS it is 10digitphonenumber@mms.att.net

Most people I know, the answer is no. Oh okay, can you send it to me using bluetooth...er no sorry. I can send it to you via email though?...er forget about it then. It is a pain for them because they have to wait to get to a computer and then get the picture from the computer to the phone which is a hassle for most phones.
Again, you are wrong.

stil

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
I don't understand the argument that people should not use MMS because they can use email. If this is a good argument then why have SMS? Shouldn't that be done by email too?

Most of the people I know, do not have email on their mobile. I also have contacts that I don't know their email address but have a mobile number.

I don't use or need MMS often but why argue against a feature that effects nothing if you don't use it?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Actually I got rid of text messages. I tell people my email address and tell them how to text me by sending it to my email. I know how to respond. It's that simple. In my previous post.

If I give people my phone number, it's for the sole purpose I want to talk to them on the phone. Do I like text on the iPhone? Yes. But since I'm paying for the extra money now, I rather optimize my money.

EDIT: I'm not arguing for or against it. I'm saying there is alternatives. Use a brain and figure it out people. Like I did. I say money now.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Actually I got rid of text messages. I tell people my email address and tell them how to text me by sending it to my email. I know how to respond. It's that simple. In my previous post.

If I give people my phone number, it's for the sole purpose I want to talk to them on the phone. Do I like text on the iPhone? Yes. But since I'm paying for the extra money now, I rather optimize my money.

EDIT: I'm not arguing for or against it. I'm saying there is alternatives. Use a brain and figure it out people. Like I did. I say money now.

You save money now? What, $5/month? And in you have every Apple gimmick known to man in your sig? j/k, Just pulling your chain.

Anyways, don't you feel your email gets cluttered up with short messages like "lol" or "pick-up milk" or "be home at 7"?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I'm on the 0-5 crowd, but anything that keeps me from going to that damn View My Message site (which works MAYBE 35% of the time) will be a godsend.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I put MMS in the 'nice to have' category.

It'll be neat getting a pic once in a while, or sending a voice clip (I guess?) every now and then.

I welcome any new feature (that doesn't hamper existing features)!

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
MMS is nice because I have a lot of friends/family that have regular phones and they like to send me pictures of their little kids. Once I have the ability to send MMS, I'll probably use it an incredible three times per year (if that).

So...nice to have but largely irrelevant to me.

Slayter

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
The Czech Republic
Dont know how about USA, but in Europe, in some countries, MMS is overpriced, so not a lot people use them. If there will be more usual to have a instant access to your email acount, then MMS would be used even less.

I personally used them ocassionaly, 3 years ago, when I bought cell phone with MMS capability. Except my family, nobody around me use them.

But I agree, MMS is standard as SMS, nice to have them in 3.0 ... (no hype about it)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
0-5. I've never sent MMS, but my friend occasionally sends me a MMS. It'll save me the effort of going to that stupid viewmymessages.com site.
BTW, I don't believe in wasting my money, which is why I have never purchased a text plan.
If AT&T was willing to block incoming text messages (saving me the charges), I'd be a happy person.

Sep 13, 2008
I saw a lot of people taking lately about MMS.
How much they needed it, how upset they ware before 3.0, and a lot of them are trying to get it, changing plans and so on.
So.... let's vote honestly

I don't need it at all, but it'll be nice to have for the odd picture I want to send, instead of having to send an e-mail.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
You save money now? What, $5/month? And in you have every Apple gimmick known to man in your sig? j/k, Just pulling your chain.

Anyways, don't you feel your email gets cluttered up with short messages like "lol" or "pick-up milk" or "be home at 7"?
Haha... Yes I have every Apple gizmo and it makes me better than you. ;p jk

Anyways... It saves me $20/month so that is what? $240 a year? $480 for 2? I think that is a deal. And not really on email since I use IMAP it helps out. Once I get MobileMe as it upgrades it'll be easier. But I don't mind a little extra work on cleaning my inbox.

Is it more convient with text and mms? Yes but I rather save money. $480 over two years helps me out a lot.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I think MMS is still necessary but I don't think it should be.

Everybody should be moving on and things like this should be done through email. Email adoption through your mobile phone hasn't exactly taken off with a lot of people though and this is why there is still a need for MMS.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I think MMS is still necessary but I don't think it should be.

Everybody should be moving on and things like this should be done through email. Email adoption through your mobile phone hasn't exactly taken off with a lot of people though and this is why there is still a need for MMS.
When, oh when are some people going to realise that not everyone owns a computer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.