Do you really need to keep all time machine back-ups?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Apr 14, 2011.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Wouldn't all of them eventually take up your internal hard-drive space? I had just backed up to reflect the latest system upgrade, and there are many back-ups. Are they all needed if things were added.

I'm not sure, what is your preference? I back-up only when I add new updates, or add new itunes songs. So is it really necessary to keep months worth of older back-ups?

Thanks.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//shrug

I just give TM 2x the size of my disk and let it have fun (as well as a bootable copy).

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Not sure what you mean but time machine backups would only really suck up space on your external backup drive.

If you only surf on your MBP, then ad-hoc backups might be fine. However, if you work with your MBP then scheduled incremental backups can be very useful.

What happens if you've accidentally lost a file but remember seeing it a few months back at a particular location? Solution: Time machine (if its still on there).

What happens if your internal drive dies? Well you can recover everything from the last backup. If you ammended/created any documents or files after the last backup, then you will obviously lose it. If you only backup on an ad-hoc basis, you will most likely lose more.

Also, having an archiving solution can also be very useful especially if you're limited by internal disk space.

I personally prefer and recommend scheduled incremental backups (eg. TM default). 'Better safe than sorry' is the name of the game... always!