Do you really think Apple will release the 5.5" model separately?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Aug 4, 2014.

?

Will the upcoming larger 5.5" iPhone be released after the 4.7" model?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No, they'll come out at the same time

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Numerous reports have claimed that Apple will release the upcoming larger 5.5" iPhone model after the 4.7" version is released. Initial reports claimed they would be released at the same time though.

Of course, nothing is official yet, but what do you personally think? Will the 2 new iPhones be released together or separately?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I believe its very likely, but I think they will be announced at once; if not, probably at the mac event

3. Izauze macrumors 6502

Personally, I think it makes sense that they announce them together. They may stagger the release dates slightly though to allow for production ramp up and to reduce strain on retail operations

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Agreed. To do otherwise would be suicide.

5. cnotes2019 Suspended

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If they're not released together this year (or at least announced together), then I don't think it'll be released until next year's cycle. There would be a lot of angry customers if the 4.7" was released and then a 5.5" a few months later without prior announcement.

Personally, I think it's just the 4.7" this year but it's really just a guess - no one knows for sure.

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

They absoultley have to be announced together...If they don't it will be one of the worst PR stunts ever.

Let's just take a wild guess that there are most likely 10 million people who would easily buy the 5.5" phone on launch day, in all honesty it will probably be much more if i you include all the Android users who are always saying they would switch to iOS in a second if they had a huge phablet.

So no 5.5" model is announced and these same 10 million people are forced to buy a 4.7". Then out of nowhere two months later Apple announces a 5.5" iphone...no friggin way that is happening. People would be STEAMING, it would be all over the news...

The 4.7" is as good as gold IMO..but the 5.5" we have had really barely any leaks at all other than a couple internal components that may or may not be legit. I hope they have make a 5.5" and i would snap 4 of them up in second for my family members...otherwise i would go 4.7". Oh ya i just thought of that also...Instead of me buying 4 - 5.5" phones and then buying 4 - 4.7" phones...then apple announces the 5.5 weeks later...i think my head would just implode at that very moment :mad:

8. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

I would expect to see both the 4.7" and the 5.5" released simultaneously alongside the alleged "iWatch" - It doesn't make sense for them to be announced separately or alongside another :apple: event with other products.... but who knows eh?

XIII

9. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

I don't see how they would not announce and release them at the same time. Granted the supplies of the 5.5 may be very limited.

If they don't even have a 5.5 people will be very upset - most people are not as plugged in as we are and think Apple, not the rumor mill, has announced there will be 2 phones this year.

Another question: what will happen to the 5s and 5c?

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

11. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

4.7 inch this year and next, 5.5 when iPhone 7 comes

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Announced together but launch separately would be my guess. Although tbh, I'm still on the fence that a 5.5" exists.

13. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I don't think a 5.5 is coming this time. No leaks at all vs the 4.7

14. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I don't think that there is going to be a 5.5" this year....

But it makes sense to announce them at the same time because if they don't, they'll have a nice return weekend at the apple stores.

15. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i don't think its going to happen at all to be completely honest. Only a 4.7.

16. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yup. If we're lucky to get a 4.7 inch it'll be around for at least this year and the s cycle year. The 5/5s/5c were all 4 inch. I see the same with the iPhone 6/6s/6c.

17. rman0726 macrumors regular

If there is a 5.5" model, I can't see them not announcing it at the same time.

"The iPhone 6 4.7" coming next Friday, September 19th! The iPhone 6 5.5" coming later this fall!"

There is just no reason to have a separate launch event for a change in screen size. They'll also want to preemptively lure people away from the eventual Note 4 by saying that they have a phablet coming. That's of course if there is one at all. It quite possibly may not exist... and that the only reason there have been leaks is because of prototypes and testing. But we haven't seen nearly the number of production leaks as the 4.7" which makes me question whether 5.5" is coming at all.

18. terryblyth macrumors regular

This. If the 5.5" is announced anything less than 6-9 months afterwards I can see it being a bit of a PR disaster for Apple. If it's not announced, I don't think we'll see a 5.5" for quite some time (if at all).

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They may announce it at the same time, but I believe it will be rolled out after the 4.7"