Do you really think Steve Jobs will allow multi-tasking on OS 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by agkm800, Feb 7, 2010.

?

Multi-tasking on OS 4.0, will Steve Jobs allow it?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2010.
  1. Yes, we will finally see multi-tasking on OS 4.0

85 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Nope. There will be no multi-tasking on OS 4.0, either!

69 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Personally, I don't think Jobs will allow it on OS 4.0, either.

What say you?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You didn't put an option for "not sure" in your poll! :(

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

I believe 4.0 will have multitasking for iPad only, it's powerful enough to be able to handle it. I just think they are taking forever with 4.0 because they want to get the iPhone OS on iPad first before overhauling 4.0 for it.

4. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

No offense, but I thought "not sure" people don't even need to vote. I am only interested in people's yes or no. I wouldn't even have asked the question if I just wanted to hear "not sure".

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Imho

I think 4.0 will allow multi-tasking, but I also see the iPhone getting a faster processor in the next upgrade, which will be capable of multi-tasking. Multi-tasking will be the big selling point this year.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

CPU isn't the problem. Even current iPhone is well capable of multi-tasking as shown with jailbreaking. It's the memory capacity as well as having an optimized API hooks for third party applications.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

They're not really taking forever with 4. iPhone OS 2 was announced in March 2008 and 3 in March 2009. I guess 4 will be coming soon...

Agreed, it would be just like Apple to suddenly announce multitasking as the most "amazing" feature having pretty much ignored it for years.

I wonder what the chances are that you'll need this year's iPhone to use multitasking, too!

8. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I voted no. I believe the lack of multitasking is an OS design choice based on a philosophy of ease of use. Simplicity.

Here's an interesting article on uni-tasking.

9. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

10. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Right on.

However, if Apple does implement multi-tasking in 4.0, I would not be surprised if they limit that functionality to the iPad and the next iPhone.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

My suggestion for multitasking has always been to allow people to slot one or two apps to be run in the background.

I think you will see a modified solution like that eventually. I don't know if they will just open it up for people to run 20 apps at once any time soon.

12. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Multitasking on a phone is slightly overrated. Even MS isn't including it on WinMo7. As long as the iPad is iPhone based, it will never have multi-tasking. That will kill too much battery.

WinMo7; Zune-like, no multitasking

13. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

As much as I'd like to see it implemented (well) I don't think we will see it, not in the sense that we think of it now anyway. I'd be willing to eat my words though.

14. DaveSW macrumors 6502

i'm really hoping 4.0 will have multitasking.

15. vertigo78 macrumors regular

this is what i expect as well.

16. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I'd even be happy if it was limited multitasking - as in you could only have 2,3, whatever apps running at the same time. I really just want to be able to stream music (sirius, slacker, simplify, etc) while doing something else.

17. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I do think multitasking is coming... It took apple a while for push notifications for the iphone so multitasking will come.. :)

18. AngryApple macrumors 6502

19. njvan macrumors member

Doubt it. Even having a few pages in Safari open on my 3GS can cause hangs.

20. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I think it will be a dashboard based version.

21. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I don't see multi-tasking ever coming to the iPhone OS, unless there is some way of freezing a state of an application and resuming it from where it was. I think that had been posted here as an idea, it's the only way I can think multi-tasking would ever work.

22. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Hopefully so. Multi-tasking is as long-desired by users as cut, copy and paste. So hopefully Apple addresses this and gives us multitasking in 4.0. Nobody knows for sure, though.

23. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Doubt it. Otherwise it would only be on the iPad with the touch bezel...if not, then it'd pretty much impossible to implement without changing anything else, interfering with third party applications, and making it easy and intuitive.

Backgrounder is definitely perfect for what I need. However taking another think at how it's done...doesn't look at all what Apple would implement when thinking about everyone.

Apple could technically get away with a four finger swipe as I don't know of any application that uses that, but you never know.

24. eplchamps0305 macrumors member

Its been coming for years. Jobs doesnt multitask so he doesnt think you should too.

25. fishmoose macrumors 68000

This is what I want, I hope Apple will work something out. Streaming radio while browsing the web would be cool.