Do you reckon accomodate for JB iphones in sales?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zainjetha, Apr 4, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi

just a quick q.
    im not sure, but do you reckon an intelligent company like apple actually predict a certain number of percentage phones will be unlocked and thus they wont get revenue for them or do they not accomodate for them in their sales?
    i would expect they would by now but not sure...

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

By now I'm sure they do.

I think they were originally caught by surprise at the nearly 25% unlocked rate. And possibly almost 50% jailbreak rate (until recently).

OTOH, they had no problem taking credit for those extra sales... without which they'd never have met their stated sales goals.

Plus think how much money they're saving by refusing to honor their hardware warranty on jailbroken or unlocked phones!

So: they take credit for the sales, but screw the owners, even when it's something as well known as the dead touchscreen strip.

Pretty sweet deal for them. Especially since it's easily within their power to fully recover a phone before looking for damage (they have the signing code to reload it all).

3. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

I reckon apple will release an unlocked iPhone when 3G is introduced.
    I hate knowing that if the iPhone malfunctions due to apples mistakes they wont make good, just because i can use any GSM sim in the world with my iPhone....

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As someone who has plenty o' experience trying to fix stuff, if I sold someone a product with a warranty that said "don't jailbreak this thing" and they went ahead and did, DUH. Why would I even think of honoring a warranty?

What if you sold microwaves and told people not to put aluminum foil in them, yet they continuously do and, sho nuff, the thing breaks.

If you jailbreak or unlock or what the heckever else your iPhone, you do so at your own risk. What do you *really* expect to happen by doing this with software you get for free on the Internet? I'm sure millions of dollars were spent testing it to make sure it doesn't turn the iPhone into a paperweight.

If you don't like the warranty restrictions, don't go complaining when messin' around screws up the perty little phone.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Year 1 of their 5-year contract with AT&T (in the US) isn't even finished and you think they're going to break that on a whim? I highly doubt it. Considering features like visual voicemail require cooperation on the provider's side, I doubt they'll sell one unlocked.

I would be interested in knowing if there is a buyout clause to end the exclusivity with AT&T. If there's a huge dollar figure attached to it, you can be even more sure they won't break that deal.

7. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

True they probably wont break the deal...

But in France and Germany, unlocked iPhones exist,
    In germany once you finish your contract
    In France you buy the unlock

I would consider it a huge step if Apple announced that once your contract is over, the Service Provider will unlock your handset.
    That would be a great start.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

They won't, because AT&T's only GMS competition in the US is T-Mobile and they don't have a 3G data network. So it would be like "yeah, we were thinking of letting you unlock after your contract, but you can't get the full benefit of the iPhone on it, so we decided not to."

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

ouchhh, nice subtle mega burn

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Not even close to the same thing. Putting software on a computer is a common thing to do, and is encourraged on other Apple computers. Soon SDK apps will be out.

As I pointed out, Apple has the ability to easily un-jailbreak if it wishes.

At first, Apple stores quietly replaced many phones when the first update bricked them, because they were trying to avoid bad publicity and possible legal action. And Jobs just shrugged off hackers, saying it was "a game".

I think that later, Apple realized how much money they could save by avoiding warranty work, especially on the first phones which appear to be more prone to losing their touchscreen.

Jailbreaking doesn't void the warranty. It's the same basic warranty that your MacBook has.

Apple counts on people like you, who've never read and understood the warranty. The warranty is about hardware, not software. It's only bans unauthorized hardware mods or fixes.

Even Apple has never said jailbreaking voids the warranty, because it doesn't. They simply don't honor their warranty, which is quite different.