Do you reckon the new iPhones screen will be the same size?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlivo, Jun 3, 2008.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Do you reckon the 3G iPhones screen will be the same size as the current one?I reckon it could be bigger cause of all the upcoming apps that'll be coming out. Make it so there is another row of apps on the home screen. I have my iPhone unlocked and jailbroken and I hate it when my first home screen is fully occupied. I always leave one gap at the least. If they don't make it bigger I reckon theyll atleast make the black parts above and below the screen touch sensitive. Be good for when you're playing games. Like when one of the guys demoed a flying-shooting game (at the iPhone sdk event), you'd tap anywhere on the screen to shoot. The black parts would be great for that. Maybe even with oled's behind them so they could change to different buttons depending on what app you're in. What do you guys reckon?

2. Jaschr macrumors member

I reckon it would make it easier to mash the buttons. :D

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

just a tiny bit bigger would be brilliant.. if it remains the same still OK, but definitely not getting smaller.

4. kleo macrumors regular

same size, same resolution. But in the future id love to see it stretch to fill the black space above and below its current bounds.

5. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I don't see why they'd make it bigger... I like the size of the screen right now -- while sometimes I think that a bigger screen would be nicer for applications, it would be a drag to lug around. Also, it would be more efficient for Apple to keep the same size/resolution of the screen as it is on V1.

6. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

ahah yeah that would be sweet ay
    lol i knew you were australian from the 'reckon' in your thread name.
    lol@us.

7. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

I think the new iPhone's screen will be the same size because people have been coding apps and games and whatever using the current hardware specs, and if Apple changed the size or resolution of the screen, all those apps and games would look awful because they were optimised for the current spec.

8. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, yeah, I didn't realise it wasn't an international word.

Ah yes, good point.

9. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

You must have big pockets! Hope it's no bigger, it's big enough already! IMO there are two choices here:

1. compromise the games a little because it is, after all, designed as a phone that is carried everywhere

2. compromise the practicality of the phone for the sake of those who play games on it.

I'll take number one! :)

10. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking more along the lines of the phone staying the same size except just make the screen go up a little higher. So the ratio of the screen changes a bit. Take away most of the black part that is up the top (obviously leave a tiny bit for the ear piece).

11. matthew858 macrumors member

It would have to be the same size, or it would confuse developers.

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Or English. The word "reckon" has been used in the same way since I can remember in England. Certainly locally (West Mids) anyway.

13. frosse macrumors 6502a

a new size would f up all SDK apps that has been created. There will be no new size.

14. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

The screen size is just right. Any bigger might as well be an ultra portable.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Or in the Southern United States.

(Which is probably why one poster joked about "mash the button", a common Southern way of saying "press the button". )

As far as screen size, the hot thing this year will be mini-projectors that fit in handheld devices. Reports say the first production devices are due out this Fall.

16. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

i don't say mash?
    i say push and press?
    i've never said mash the button nor have heard it said hahaha.
    silly americans stereotyping australians to be all hicky n say mate n wear cork hats :p

17. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

But you guys do in Covert Garden.... ;)

18. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

yeahh..

whats that? :S
    and also americans stole our lawnmower today!

19. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

Should be Covent Garden, or maybe Kings Cross. Where the Aussies hang out in London.

So they got your lawnmower today that's bad luck. How do you know it was an American that took it. Did he ride it on the wrong side of the road?

20. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

oh right, they must be wanna be aussies. lol
    no not MY lawnmower, australia's lawnmower! the victa mower, the birth of all lawn mowers, stinky americans took it!
    and also on your note on the wrong side on the road
    when i play gtaIV i kill so many people for driving on the left side of the road, seriously. why do cops have to come after me for driving on my side of the road? its outrageous.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The guy who responded to you said 'mash the buttons', assuming you were Southern [American].

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    :) As I said, I'm sure the poster thought you were from the USA at first.

I used to travel all over the USA installing electronics, and found the different sayings to be almost dangerous sometimes ...

For example, once in the upper midwest I asked a local helper to "cut off the power switch" and he pulled out a pair of clippers to chop the switch's wires in half :eek:

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It made me smile. I'm american but I studied in australia last semester, so basically I knew instantly you were australian! Some people use it here in America too, but not as common. it's more of a southern hickish type word. or in your terms, a bogan (sp?) type word. haha :)

24. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Ah, read it the wrong way! Understood. :)

I reckon people in Yorkshire use that expression quite often!

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hey now. :)