Do you recommend getting MacBook Air from eBay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrcharlie91, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

I was just looking around you can get New MacBook Air for

$2100. They sell new one for $2300 and if you use the LIVE Cash you get

200 off so that's about 2300. But I'm really worried if it's used one,

crap screen and how do I return it all these little thingy..

Any body have any experience ??

2. mrcharlie91 thread starter macrumors member

Or should I just invest more money for safer one like Amazon? maybe

macmall. I heard they are not good

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

speaking from someone who looks for a good deal, I was ripped off on ebay for 1600 for an air, with someone with 100% feedback mind you. So no, I would not go on ebay. You may get a good deal, but its not worth the stress I had to go through.

4. bonesboom macrumors member

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

What happened?? If you dont mind me asking?

6. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

This is of course my opinion, but it's something that's pretty common knowledge... doesn't mean everyone will agree, but that's life - I'm offering you what I know.

eBay is good for some things, bad for others. Buying/Selling laptops from eBay is full of BAAAAAD. Not only are there tons of scammers (both buyers and sellers) who target laptops, but you really have no way of knowing the condition or hidden damage of the goods. At least when you buy refurb on Apple or from a good merchant, you are either covered under warranty or they have good return policy. On eBay you got zilch. Not worth getting it a $100 cheaper on eBay when you may be buying garbage - assuming you even get the product and are not scammed.

My strong advice re: buying a laptop from a private seller on eBay - DO NOT DO IT!!!

Now, somebody is gonna chime in with "I bought a laptop on eBay and lived to tell about it!". Well, there are people who jog on freeways and live to tell about it, but it's not a good idea. YMMV.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I know many will disagree, but I always go to the source, apple.com. It is too much money to risk someone swapping a screen or battery. And eve. The "authorized resellers" have bad apples, pun intended. Risking with a big investment is dumb in my mind. I will risk a non technology device or a $50 product, but when I am dropping two or three grand, I trust Apple and nobody else. Apple, Inc is the only company that is responsible to ensure the integrity throughout the life of the computer warranty. So in my mind that is reason enough to only trust them. Those "resellers" offer no recourse and a lot of liability on you! It's your money/investment so treat it wisely.

Cheers

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I would not recommend eBay at all for anything as important as a computer purchase; tales are legion online about fraudulent sales and experienced scammers. Don't fall for it.

Instead, my recommendation would be to go to proper source, such as an Apple or another licenced outlet. Should anything go wrong, in that instance, you'll have a far better legal comeback if you do so, than if you purchase at Craigslist, or eBay.

Cheers and good luck

9. mrcharlie91 thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks !

Thank you I decided to buy it from Amazon even though it's $300 more

but thank you !

10. greenalien macrumors newbie

I just purchased the new Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz off eBay UK so thought I'd share my experience.

The first auction I was interested in had 100% feedback. However I didn't buy from that seller because I was worried about the history. No activity for the previous 90 days, and history info on eBay only goes back 90 days so I didn't even know what the older items were. They could have been selling knitted underwear for all I know. Had all the signs of a hijacked account/phishing exploit. In any case, I turned it down and carried on looking on eBay.

I found another one for £30 extra, and the history looked fine. They had previous sales of Mac hardware including Macbooks and positive feedback for those items. The Macbook Pro was brand new and unopened, and previous feedback suggested this is always the case otherwise he'd have received neg feedback for misleading description. The risks seemed low so I purchased it.

Three days later I received it, brand new, unopened and no issues. I'm happy and saved myself £300 (about $450 US) in the process which I can spend on Mac software, hardware and AppleCare. I used a 5% off eBay/Paypal promo which worked fine by the way. I'd have saved an extra £30 had I gone with the first seller, which it turned out was a legit seller after all (since received positive feedback for the Macbook Pros he sold). But I still think I made the right decision.

So my advice. Only allow 99%+ feedback to get your initial interest. Look at the seller's history to actually determine if everything checks out. Plenty scammers hijack accounts with 100% feedback, especially those that are idle (no recent activity, so the legit owner probably isnt paying attention). If the seller has recent history if selling similar items and has received positive feedback, and they're always BNIB, I say go for it because minimal risk is worth it.