Do you recommend the apple pencil?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Jan 25, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

So for those who have one is it worth the investment? Do you use it enough to make it well worth buying?

2. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

I have one and use it daily in school. Don't carry anything with me except for my iPad since all my notes PDFs word documents are all stored on it. Definitely worth it to me

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Honestly, it is fun to use. If you have an iPad pro, I absolutely recommend getting one. I just wish they had found a way to make it sit inside the tablet.

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Guessing you can't internet browse by scrolling for example?

5. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

There's something going on with the 9.3 beta where the Pencil won't interact with the interface elements, but we're hoping that's just a bug.. with all of the release software versions so far you've been able to use the Pencil as a "precise finger" for interface interaction.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Excellent that was one thing I wondered if it was possible or not

7. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

For me, the pencil is the deal maker for the pro. It's the high-light of the whole shooting match.

8. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Can you utilize the pencil to navigate and click within a remote desktop app for more precision versus your finger? Would be the only reason I get the pencil when/if I get the iPP.

9. jlczl macrumors regular

Absolutely. That's one of its main selling points imo.

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

If you are a note taker or like to draw or sketch things, the pencil is a must have. It works very well and pretty much completely replaces paper.

11. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Investment?

It's only a hundred bucks.

12. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Still a lot of money if you don't use it. Certainly if you buy other things with the pro

13. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's rather average and not very durable. I see a lot damaged at work, used by professionals that are careful with their computers, tablets and phones, it's a sign that Apple needs to improve.

My pencil has been OK but then again it sees limited usage once the novelty wore off. Despite accepting tablets with an open mind, I still prefer any one of the various size MB, MBA, or MBPR models I have for content creation and other work.

My iPad Pro, even with it's OEM keyboard and pencil just isn't compelling enough to choose over Apple's fine laptops I've been enjoying for years.

14. Capt T macrumors 6502a

It is well worth it to me. Use it for notes and sketch ups.

15. macaximx macrumors 6502

I look at your signature and don't think a hundred bucks is much to you as you maxed out your 6S+,iPad and mini. Also you went with a SS bracelet.;)

The Pencil makes the IPP. Try it and you will most likely love it. Cheers.

16. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I'm tempted to buy the pro in fairness

Even though I ruled it out from day 1, I'm just mad

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

In also tempted but if I buy one it renders my air 2 useless.

18. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I will need to sell my air 2 and mini to fund it.

19. macaximx macrumors 6502

Actually, I thought it was DOA when watching the keynote introduction. After holding it and using the pencil I bought one. I could not go back to a regular iPad. Much easier than carrying a MacBook Pro. The pencil just makes it that much more of a go to device. It's an iPad Air 2 on steroids.

20. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

i would wait for the pro 2 unless you really need a stylus and a digital sketchbook. it's a half baked system IMO. Lots of bugs. not well thought out in many aspects- like the charging and the tiny parts. really poor industrial design and its a pain to tote around without a good case. i had to get a smart cover (also works as a stand),and a carry case, and a screen protector just to get this thing to be practical, to work well, and so i dont lose any parts. It works pretty good now but its really expensive when you add it all up. there are better options that cost far less. the software is only so so and the palm rejection is not up to par yet. there is lots of room for improvement. i bet the apple pencil 2 will be really good. the pencil does not add anything to the normal experience. it works poorly for navigating in IOS. its all meant for fingers.

i go to school also, i just use paper. i like that more. its faster for me and i get tired of staring at screens all day long. i felt let down when i got my pencil. but i've been doing digital art for many years so i have more to compare it to than most.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple Pencil worth it? Only if you can afford it but there are plenty of reasonable priced stylus. Wacom Stylus is cheaper than AP.

22. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

But not half as good. The Pencil IS that good! And if you can afford a Pro the price of the Pencil, especially for what it gives you, is not much to complain about.

23. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

for me, apple pencil is slightly better than SP4 N-trig, but not as good as Wacom EMR (on the cintiq lines). But, i could make art with any stylus these days. Software matters more to me than the pointer. I can always adapt to a new pens feel and quirks.

But ya, if your not an artist the apple pencil might be overkill. any stylus will do for note-taking navigation.

24. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

ordered the pencil and it's due to arrive 7-10 days..which is at least respectable from 2-3 weeks.

25. DaniJoy macrumors 6502