do you recommend the time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goobot, Mar 9, 2010.

1. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

well if you have one do your recommend it?

also did they fix the 18 month life or no?

any way do you recommend it for its wifi

wired network

wireless printing

and backup and anything else i missed?

2. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I have one of the original 500GB Time Capsule's and it works great, though it was a bit of a pain to setup. I have a printer attached to it and that works brilliantly.

I haven't had it for 18 months so I couldn't comment but it's seemed pretty sturdy, I just forget about it, which is how it should be.

I'd give it a 3/5, so I would recommend it if you have a portable as it makes local backup really easy. However, I had some initial frustrating problems setting the thing up where my first backups kept failing, and when they did work the sparsebundle was corrupted. Eventually I got everything to work and it's been flawless ever since.

I should also add that not that many printers actually work using the TC, you have to check for wireless USB printing support, and potentially TC support as well. Luckily my HP works, but my previous Epson didn't work with it, so just be sure.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have had a 500Gb TC since they first came out. It's never failed on me and is the house's primary router, 5 people connect to it both wirelessly and wired. My computer is the only one that uses it for back up purposes, but the whole house uses as a central media store for films.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I have had a Time Capsule since they first came out in the beginning of 2008. I've never had any trouble with it and I don't know anyone who reports that his TC stopped working after 18 months.

Many people quote the same internet sources that spread the usual click whoring crap but I have have not seen people complaining about their own equipment. Check the discussions about the new iMac screens for examples of what goes on when something is really wrong.

The Time Capsule is not the cheapest way to accomplish these functions but, for me, it was the easiest and cleanest. It gave me a router, a whole house wifi network and wireless printing from all my computers. Be aware that you may have to plug the printer directly into a computer for scanning or other functions where the printer sends to the computer but printing to the printer works flawlessly. Best wishes.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have the 1TB Time Capsule and it's awesome!!! it was really easy to set up and very easy to use. I highly recommend it!
    I have my printer hooked up to it also and no issues.

6. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I admit the "18-month" stories have worried me, but I've had mine 22 months now with no problems like that. The only problem I have is that once every few weeks a print job will just wait in the queue and not print. Takes a restart of the Time Capsule and printer to resolve. It _could_ be a TC problem, or a printer or a driver or a cable problem.

Other than that, I love it! I've got the 500GB version from May 2008. It "hosts" an old USB 1.1 hub with my Canon iP4300 inkjet and a 16GB USB drive. It is my only router and wireless access point, with one iMac connected via ethernet and one XP laptop connecting wirelessly. It's used for my iMac backups via Time Machine, which has worked flawlessly.

As of OS X 10.6, it has shown ink levels for my printer. However, I can only run the Canon utilities for the printer (nozzle check, clean, deep clean, etc.) by temporarily plugging the printer directly into my iMac or by doing them from the XP laptop. Not a biggie for me since I've never needed to run them! But, be aware that support for fancy or non-standard printer features may vary by brand and model.

I don't remember having any problems at all setting it up, even getting it to work with the XP system fine. As far as I can tell, performance has been just fine.

I would recommend it for space saving and simplicity.

Brian33.

7. goobot thread starter macrumors 603

goobot

thx guys. forgot to mention. i got my printer free with my mac. so i would think it would work. also does scanning work? if it doesnt not a biggy since i dont really use it and i can just hook it into my computer when i do need it. :)

8. Tayla Green macrumors newbie

For instance, I back up my home iMac to a Western Digital drive that’s connected to it via a cable.
    As for hard-drive life, it’s my experience that many seem to die sooner or later, especially if they are used heavily. I don’t know if the ones inside the Time Capsule are especially fragile. But, in just the past six months, I’ve had an external hard disk from G-Tech die on me

9. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I got my original Epson free with my iMac so I wouldn't guarantee that just because you got it with your Mac that it'll work with the TC. Check the model on the manufacturers website and check forums just to be sure.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I would definitely recommend it. My father (i am a student) bought a 2tb one a few months ago and it is working flawlessly without any issues.

3 computers back up to it. And there are 3-4 devices connected via wireless and around 2 wired.

I completely agree with the above statement

maril1111