Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you remove your 12" rMB, at airport screening?

• Yes, I always remove my 12" retina MacBook, while passing airport screening

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No, I always keep it in my bag like a tablet, when passing airport screening

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Tried, but was busted when trying to keep my 12" rMB in my bag, screeners made me remove it

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • No Idea - I haven't yet traveled with my 12" rMB

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Ok road warriors,

do you remove the 12" retina MacBook form your bags, like laptop, when passing airport screening?

Years ago, when I first started traveling with a 11" MBA, I kept it in my bag. Pretty soon, however, they got hip to the game and made me remove it.

Flash-forward a few years, and I often travel with a Surface Pro 3. I can not only keep that one in my bag, but I've actually had ATA tell me to put it back in, after I'd already pulled it out on a tray.

Wondering what the standard is with the new 12" rMB? I know, it's a laptop, but??? I've seen a few people post that they keep it in their bags. What's the consensus?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Some time ago when a new Head of TSA was hired, it was written that notebooks <13" did not have to be removed from the bag in order to keep the lines moving better. This included iPads, iPhones, Netbooks, and the newly released MacBook Air. I found that this wasn't uniformly enforced by TSA personnel at various airports, and those who insisted that the tiny devices be removed were not amused to be informed of the newly implemented "rules".

It still seems to be up to the individual screeners at any airport and at any time ... so I just leave my rMacbook in my bag along with my iPad. Occasionally they have pulled my bag aside for inspection ... but usually it goes right through. When directly asked if I have a computer in the bag, I have responded "just a tiny one", and they have waved me through.

YMMV ...

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Ok road warriors,

do you remove the 12" retina MacBook form your bags, like laptop, when passing airport screening?

Wondering what the standard is with the new 12" rMB? I know, it's a laptop, but??? I've seen a few people post that they keep it in their bags. What's the consensus?

MacBook Pro:
macbook-pro-retina-display-innards-labelled.jpg

Retina MacBook:
mobo.jpg

I've traveled extensively in US and international airports with my RMB and I leave it in my backpack every time. The TSA x-ray sees it as if it's an iPad, I've never been asked to remove it.

Methinks it's the lack of ports, the lack of a fan, and the lack of a mechanical hard drive.

BJ

Reactions: Jetcat3 and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Unless directly requested I just leave it in my carry on. Truthfully it really varies country to country & airport to airport. I find that if the rMB, charger, adaptors are in a small separate bag/backpack it passes through much easier.

I appreciate that security is a necessity, equally what PIA it is these days, is beyond tedious...

Q-6

Reactions: boltjames

tbirdparis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2015
Here in Europe they seem to be pretty systematic about asking you to remove computing devices of any kind and putting them in a tray separately. Every time I've told them I have an iPad in my bag and asked should I take it out, they say yes every single time. Haven't been on a flight yet with my rMB but I can't see them not asking for it to be taken out just like any other laptop.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Aren't there also TSA approved bags that don't require removal of computers? Not that I expect consistency from the TSA on this policy at every airport. At least that has not been my experience.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Aren't there also TSA approved bags that don't require removal of computers? Not that I expect consistency from the TSA on this policy at every airport. At least that has not been my experience.

30410dff26316dfc6e7dad29339653ba.jpg

Not really. What I do find is that they'll let you remove your notebook in a neoprene sleeve and put it in a separate tray for x-ray scanning, so it's protected and doesn't scratch. I bought this Incase sleeve so my MacBook wouldn't scratch in hotel room safes but if I ever do get stopped by TSA it'll ensure it doesn't get dinged if manhandled by an agent.

BJ

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I find 85% of the time I get asked to remove my rMB only a few time in the US have a heard them say no need to remove Ipads

It's the same with belts a 100% removal but occasionally watches and shoes are ok

The one that really gets me is no sharp objects then you get on board and are given a metal knife and fork in B Class

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
They do exist but I have no experience using them. Plus, I know the TSA is anything but consistent from airport to airport.

I know that these exist but there aren't that many of them out there and it's not a practice that has been adopted by the likes of Tumi, Briggs & Riley, or any of the major briefcase makers. There are some ballistic nylon backpacks that can open in that fashion, but having to unwrap their lengthy zippers and undo their complex buckles is more difficult that just reaching in and pulling out a neoprene sleeve.

Agreed that it also depends on the quality of the TSA agent, very inconsistent to say the least.

BJ

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
30410dff26316dfc6e7dad29339653ba.jpg

Not really. What I do find is that they'll let you remove your notebook in a neoprene sleeve and put it in a separate tray for x-ray scanning, so it's protected and doesn't scratch. I bought this Incase sleeve so my MacBook wouldn't scratch in hotel room safes but if I ever do get stopped by TSA it'll ensure it doesn't get dinged if manhandled by an agent.

BJ

I do the same. I keep it in a sleeve when I travel inside my bag. I just take it out with the sleeve so it does not get scratched.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I do the same. I keep it in a sleeve when I travel inside my bag. I just take it out with the sleeve so it does not get scratched.

I travel with the sleeve primarily for hotel room safes and the occasional need to put my notebook in my carry-on suitcase. The Incase model is very thin/light and has really good edge protection.

BJ

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I took out my 17" laptop from my backpack, left the rMB in the back pack (BWI, SLC). They said nothing. I wonder if the batteries actually show up on X-ray.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I just go ahead and remove mine. I just don't want the aggravation of being held up for a "bag check" and have to wait at the counter for the next available TSA agent to saunter over to run the "explosives swat".

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I know that these exist but there aren't that many of them out there and it's not a practice that has been adopted by the likes of Tumi, Briggs & Riley, or any of the major briefcase makers.

There appear to be quite a few options on ebags.com. It's not really any more difficult than removing a laptop from your bag. You just unzip/unbuckle the laptop compartment from the main bag so it lays flat on the x-ray machine. Of course, if I could just pre-check every flight it wouldn't matter...

http://www.ebags.com/category/business-cases/laptop-bags/f/checkpoint-friendly

TomBihnCheckpointFlyerBaglowrez.jpg

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

I'm using a Moshi iGlaze Stealth Clear 12 snap on cover. I think would work great for travel through security check points. I always have a family member go ahead of me so some stranger doesn't pick it up on the other side of the X-Ray.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I keep mine in except in Europe, but there is NO consistency about the rules in the US.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I'm using a Moshi iGlaze Stealth Clear 12 snap on cover. I think would work great for travel through security check points. I always have a family member go ahead of me so some stranger doesn't pick it up on the other side of the X-Ray.
That is the one advantage of the "CheckPoint Friendly" bags (or simply not removing it from your carryon bag) ... it is much more noticeable if a thief grabs your notebook computer under their coat, and ends up dragging your big carryon bag with it.

That is also an advantage of a simple neoprene sleeve which will hide the identity of the notebook yet still be TSA compliant for X-ray inspection in the bin (especially if the sleeve is a really bright color ... not black).

Reactions: jazz1

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
So to be fair and try and eliminate a confounder, you should add in the caveat that your question doesn't apply to those with TSA Pre-check. Those folks don't need to take any laptop out of their bag and if those same folks are contributing to the poll, then there may be a significant number of those that don't take the laptop out of the bag that are also Precheck eligible...

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.