Do you restore your iPhone before you sell it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessay, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Jessay macrumors member

I'm planning on selling my iPhone 4 the day my 4S comes in the mail. I'm planning on selling my phone unlocked. Should I restore it before I sell it to the buyer?

2. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

YES YES YES!!! You better, or else they will have access to all your data! Make sure you backup your phone first so that you can easily sync with your 4S. Also, get rid of your SIM card on your 4 too.

3. LoganT macrumors 68020

Of course you should. You can erase everything straight on the phone. Just go into settings>reset>erase all content and settings

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I would unless you want the next owner to have all your info.

5. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

I had so much private information on mine that I took the super paranoid route:

full restore/erase then fill completely with music

repeat at least twice

I hope that put me in the clear.

6. iPhone4UK macrumors 6502

Can I ask why fill with music? Tbh you shouldn't have that much info on a phone which could be lost easily.

7. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

8. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I know what you mean, I always erase/restore on handset > activate on iTunes (without sync) to double check > erase/restore again :D

9. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

Which is better restore or erase? Mines Jailbroken and I want to keep it that way when I sell it.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

He wanted to overwrite the flash memory so no data was recoverable by a future owner.

I'm not entirely sure of the point of overwriting flash multiple times though. The point of that practice on magnetic media is to obliterate any residual magnetic fields that could theoretically allow reading overwritten data with something like a magnetic force microscope. All you end up doing with flash memory is wasting some time and a couple of the limited write cycles. Doesn't really hurt anything I guess, so if it gives peace of mind go for it.

11. symple84 macrumors member

Anyone know the answer to this question??? I sold my phone but want my private data off the phone while leaving the jailbreak and firmware the same....

12. stev3n macrumors 6502

You should definitely restore the phone before you sell it.

13. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Other than violating several Music copyright laws.. You're in the clear! :D

"Mom, this guy sent me an iPhone loaded up with all kinds of country music on it!"

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

I would restore the phone and set it up as new. Then do the jailbreak. Be sure you do the restore from a different computer or it will delete your backup when it is done.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Of course

16. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

I did this ^^^ before selling my jailbroken iP4. Reason I didn't restore is because I wanted to maintain the JB. Should that be enough to fully wipe my data???

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Not good enough. If you do it that way, you can still follow it because it is still tied to you. Just restore. Much better for everyone but i realize some are too lazy to do it the right way. But it is better for the person selling it.

18. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Could you please explain how it would be still "tied to you" even after the "erase data & settings"? TIA

19. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

The point isn't to fill it with free music for the buyer, it's to write over the storage device multiple times so that data can't be recovered.

When you format your Mac, the most secure reformat options write and delete multiple times.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Maybe you should ask this guy if it worked for him http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1248743

Do it the way you want, but a restore doesnt take long and it is the best way. Just put it back the way it was when you bought it.

21. LoganT macrumors 68020

When I did this, there was nothing left on the phone. When you bring your iPhone to the Apple Store, Apple will tell you to do this if they giving you a replacement phone.

22. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

23. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

The difference is I had 4.3.3 installed and not iOS5. It's linked through iCloud in the thread you linked to.

24. Jessay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! I will restore. I might also put all the music back on so I can sell the iPhone for more...