Do you rip your DVD's to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NickD, Jul 7, 2007.

?

Do you rip your DVD's to iTunes?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I just wanted to see if people tend to prefer ripping their movies, or watching them straight from the DVD.

Personally, I've been ripping mine, but only my favorites films (saving space on HD).

NickD

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

I Bought

All 15 Of My Movies That I Wannted Off Itunes

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Do you mean a straight rip from the DVD, or do you mean ripping and compressing?

I do have all my DVDs ripped and compressed with Handbrake and put onto an external hard drive. The main benefit in this for me was that I could leave all my DVDs at my parents house, so they wouldn't clutter up the little rooms I always seem to end up living in in London.

However recently I've become very aware of the dip in video and audio quality when you compress with Handbrake and am considering just going back to having all the DVDs with me (though I'll get a catalogue sort of thing so I don't have to have all the boxes with me). I also find the external hard drive setup business very fussy and awkward, especially if you want to watch the film on a Macbook on your bed, like I often do.

However, when there is a 250GB drive for my Macbook, the ease of just having all your films on your hard drive may once again be too hard to resist. :eek:

4. Mernak macrumors 6502

I also use Handbrake, it's a nice little program. I rip the DVD to the iPod maximum setting that it can handle. That way if I go over to a friends house I have a lot of movie without having to lug my dvd collection. I also keep a couple on my internal hard drive to watch whenever

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Only for movies that I actually really like. I'm not much of a movie fan.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I don't for a few reasons:
    1. Takes up too much HD space.
    2. Decrease in audio/video quality.
    3. Why watch movies on a 13" screen when I have a big TV and a comfy couch?

That being said I do have a few but it's not at all a regular thing.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I rip movies that I like to iTunes, for use with the iPod (in case I'm bored) and TV shows too - Lost Season 1 is on my iPod!

8. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Most of my movies are ripped with HandBrake, then stored on my 250GB external. My external has a very annoying hum to it though, that gets somwhat annoying during movies, so I usually just copy the movie to my desktop, then eject the external. Then I delete the movie once I'm done watching it.

Next on the shopping list is a 200gb internal for my macbook, so I'll be able to keep some of my movies without the external. :D

I watch all movies using Quicktime, not iTunes.

9. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I travel quite a bit and have a 30gig iPod and the av cables, so I have encoded all of mine and stuck them on an external hd. I can fit about 1/3 of them on my iPod at any one time. It's handy to be able to watch movies or tv show when you're stuck in some hotel room, or need to pass a bit of time on the train, and having a decent selection on the iPod is good.

I don't worry too much about getting the best quality, since it's only entertainment on the go, but I do try to get a decent balance between file size and quality.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. Mediafork and Handbrake. Got a fairly beefy library of films now, going on 53 at 27gb. Find it amazing that even 400kbps films look perfect on the iPod screen.

And 23 TV series.

I love the whole process of ripping them and finding suitable artwork online. And making Smart playlists of film years or production studios :D