Do you RSS or open in tabs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EvanLugh, Apr 14, 2008.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I don't know wether to try RSS. I've always preferred opening the sites in tabs and looking. If I see something, I still have to open it up anyway don't I?

I'm nothing less of an advanced user, but this is something I query alot.

Thoughts!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I love RSS, and find its much easier than checking the sites I want updates for.

However, if you have quite a lot of sites, I recommend an app for it. I love NewsFire, but some people prefer NetNewsWire or even Vienna. All three of these are free.

3. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Thanks & Yeah, I have all of these installed I just.. I don't know. I need some really good pointers as to why I should use RSS, take time subscribing instead of flicking open MineField (FF3b) and opening the sites. :(

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For example, I'm subscribed to AppleInsider. Instead of checking daily what is new on the site, I get NF to check every five minutes for an update, and give me a Growl notification whenever there is an update. This may hardly be a convenience for one site, but when you have a lot (screenshot of mine below), it really helps. Its also good for sites that update rarely, but have news that you find important.

Plus, no ads, or other links to get in the way.

[​IMG]

5. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Thanks, okay, just for you I'm going to give it a go for 1 day. I'll post the outcome here (lol). If anyone else has any suggestions I'm all open..

6. kepner macrumors 6502

I use NetNewsWire. Mainly because NewsGator allows me to sync my subscribed feeds between different Macs, and read my feeds on my iPhone.

If you use RSS, you don't have to manually check sites for news, the news comes to you. And, it's nice to have all of your news come to one place. So you could, for example, set up a smart folder for news stories that mention "iPhone", and have all iPhone related news from all of your favorite sites in one place.

7. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I use Google Reader to keep updated on all my sites. Much easier than visiting all of them.