Do you run Windows ONLY on your Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aditghai, Apr 27, 2009.

?

How many use Windows more than OS X

Poll closed May 2, 2009.
  1. I switched to a Mac but missed Windows-now use a Mac to run Win most of the time

3.2%
  2. I run Windows some times but my main OS is OS X

66.7%
  3. I never use Windows for anything

28.0%
  4. I never use OS X for anything.

2.2%
  1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

How many of you SWITCHED to a mac but were so used to Windows that installed Windows on a Mac and use it more than OS X?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Hell no! I switched to Mac to get away from that "other OS" as much as possible! Only use it in Parallels from time to time for work.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

in college I ran Windows exclusively for a couple months on my MBP because I was using InDesign for a project and I only had access to the Windows version. That was the only reason I ran Windows though and hardly have used it since.

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

It's probably 85% OS X and 15% Windows for me.

6. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i only use windows for my blackberry (sometimes) and other applications such as adobe master collection since i bought it for windows and i cant use it on my mac. theres others as well. thats the only bit of it.

though i seldom use it. maybe like once or twice a week to get a job done one programs only for windows

7. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I use Leopard most of the time on my MBP, but I have my desktop has Windows on it, and I use both my desktop and laptop about equal.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Actually, now that I use Leopard, Windows is now the awkward one for me. It's 90/10, favoring the Mac. :)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have Leopard on my tower, Tiger on my laptop, and XP at work.

Admittedly I have the Win 7 beta in VMware but I rarely use it.

10. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

OS X 100% of the time. Installed Windows 7 and un-installed it a few hours after :)

11. neil1980 macrumors 6502

When I was considering making the switch I thought that if I didn't get on with OS X at least I could use it as an expensive windows laptop so the thought acted as a bit of a safety net.

As it turned out I only use windows on it for the odd application like sopcast and the occasional game of live for speed.

12. iBecks macrumors 6502

I only use a Windows VM when I want to use Office 2007. I Can't use the Mac version of Office, it's pants.

13. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Where's the 50/50 option. I use boot camp when I'm working and OS X at home - on my MBP anyway.

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would be upset if I had to run windows on my MacBook. OS X does everything I want and more. :)

15. Macmel macrumors 6502

I use Windows sometimes on my Mac for software that does not have a Mac version and I need for my job.
    I have two laptops, one MBP and an ASUS and basically I use the Mac for work and the PC for fun. To me it is the perfect combination. I have the power of a Mac combined with the flexibility and software offer of a PC. Actually I had two Macs for a while and had to sell my iBook to get the PC: streaming was hell most of the time because of the lack of compatibility, some video codecs or programs were not available, reduced game offer, etc.

16. Samslice12 macrumors member

I just use Windows for gaming on my Macbook. Just about all it's good for. lol.

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Use XP for games and occasionally for a law application.

95+% of the time I use Leopard.

18. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I think you need the converse to #2: I run Windows most of the time (for now) and use OS X sometimes. Mostly because my wife started on a huge project using a scrapbooking program for windows just before we purchased the iMac so she has mostly been using XP natively although we are both looking forward to reversing that trend as soon as she is finished.

And, yes, the programs would run in Fusion but my wife is currently comfortable with what she already knows (i.e. - XP).

My son (a guitar player) thinks Garageband is the best thing, ever, period. I like iPhoto and have been messing around with the 'faces' thing; I'm trying to convince my wife we need a new camera that logs in GPS coordinates so we can utilize 'places' but no luck (yet).:(

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I use Vista for Games only. Call of Duty 4 runs soooooooo much smoother than the Mac version!

20. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

OSX 95% WINDOWS 7 just for a game i play rarely and i sometimes use it to rip dvds with dvd fab ... i havent found an equal to dvd fab for mac yet...makes it easy to rip seasons of shows

anyone else use dvd fab? like maybe in virtual box? i was thinking about get vb but dvd fab is the only thing i would use it for

21. 156457 macrumors 6502

MacTheRipper or Handbrake (to rip DVD's with Handbrake you need to have VLC in your Applications folder)

22. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

i use handbrake but dvd fab is much much easier to use for seasons

23. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

My understanding is that the new version of handbrake does not remove CSS encryption. The free version of Mac The Ripper is too old to remove CSS from new movies and there is some crazy scheme to get a license for the new version; as long as you have a windows partition, DVD Fab is definitely the way to go. I haven't tried running it in VMware yet.

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I went for never use Windows.

Technically, I do still have a PC but I have not actually started it for several months. I managed to find adequate OS-X software to replace the things I need to do on a computer so I really don't have any need for Windows at the present time. I have no need to run Windows on my iMac.

25. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Definitely use OSX the most.

However, I am starting to be drawn to Windows 7. Just finished installing a fresh, clean install of Build 7100, and hot d*mn, that thing is SNAPPY!!! I am now seriously debating getting a Mac when this thing kicks the bucket, (hopefully years and years from now, god I'm a cheap bastard :D) mainly because of how nice Win7 is shaping up to be (party because of aforementioned cheap-bastardness)