Do you run Windows via Bootcamp on your Macbook/Pro/Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heatmiser, Feb 4, 2008.

?

Do you run Windows via Bootcamp on your Macbook/Pro/Air?

1. No; only OS X.

26 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes; XP in bootcamp.

42 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Yes; Vista in bootcamp.

16 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. No; but with virtualization.

17 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Don't have an Intel laptop/desktop.

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've been thinking about doing it, but haven't worked up the motivation to yet. Anyway, what about you? Do you have a dedicated partition for XP/Vista?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I partitioned my Hard drive so that XP had 20GB. I just need it for games.

3. erwind macrumors newbie

i use bootcamp for Vista in my iMac, because i need to play Final Fantasy XI (online game). If only it has a Mac version like WoW does... :(

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

No, but I do run Win2k regularly via Fusion (MB) and Parallels (MBP). I primarily use Windows so that I can run an IE plug-in from Juniper Networks that lets me access a virtual desktop at work.

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

One option you could have included is:
    Yes - XP or Vista via Bootcamp and then using Parallels or VMWare to run that partition in OS X

But this method corrupted my XP Partition when I had parallels set to use it for VM so consider yourself warned.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No Windows on my MBP. I'm trying to escape from Windows.

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Put Vista on, but now all of my games run horribly, so I'm probably going back to XP.

8. Alfadoc macrumors member

Alfadoc

XP works way better than Vista. 20GB is enough.

Going to do that on my MBA tomorrow. Boot Camp is the best! :D

CD 2.0 MBP, 256 MB ATI X1600

-Peter

9. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I installed Vista b/c i have a few programs that will not run on my MBP. I hope someday soon to find other solutions. Vista runs great, no complaints. Vista runs better on my MBP than it did on my PC.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

I run xp, but why the hell would I ever want to run Vista? :eek:

11. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I use Vista because I got it from school for $30 and they didn't have XP (even if they did, I'd probably still get Vista). I only have Windows installed because of I have to use IE to access the corporate intranet, and I also like to use Microsoft Money for finances. For work and school I use OS X, which is much better than Vista.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I had been using Boot Camped XP, but recently upgraded it to Vista. I have Vista on my HP laptop from work, and actually prefer it to XP. I don't care about games, so that doesn't bother me. But I find Office 2007 looks & works nicer on Vista than XP.

13. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

No, I have never used just bootcamp but mbp came with parallels desktop and that's pretty darn nice. Runs the apps that I need that don't exist in OSX (yet), like Camtasia Studio, and others that I can't afford to switch over yet, like VUE. I recently convinced all my partners in small studio to switch over from PCs to macs (we were down most of the time due to bad hardware and virus/malwares) and having mac/intels as upgrade was a no-brainer. No one is looking back and everyone glad they could avoid Vista (one client a week asks us to remove Vista from their new laptop and replace with XP). Many were duped by claims of increased security as this place is a den of insecurity, only to find the same malware problems in Vista as they had in XP. Protools is our bread and butter and app and we have had zero downtime since installing macs. yeh!

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have xp bootcamped;
    vista & xp & server 03 parralleled

p.s. ther needs to be a "both xp bootcamp & xp parallels" etc option :)

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

After seeing the demo at an Apple Store, I'd rather use Parallels instead of having to reboot the computer. But none of that is really an option because of how cluttered I made my hard drive. 120GB is nice, but Creative Suite 3 and Quark Xpress take up a ton of room (not to mention an iPhoto library with 10MP photos).

I've got an old Windows desktop, so I just use that when I need to. I think of it as having a VHS player around for the heck of it. :)

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

XP at the moment. I'm going to give Vista another go now that SP1's out, but I don't have high hopes.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would suggest a USB-compatible IV connected to 2GB of RAM. From what I've heard, Vista is the worst OS since the virus they called Windows Me.

18. augustgarage macrumors newbie

I run XP via bootcamp on a 10Gb partition (out of 200Gb total) - mostly for games, Office 2007, and language learning software.

19. Richie Ni macrumors newbie

No way on my Mac's but I do have a PC with xp installed,it's for game purpose only.

20. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It's not as bad as Windows Me by far but it's very buggy. My worst experience was when my mouse all of a sudden wasn't recognized anymore. Well it was, but there was no reaction anywhere, although drivers and such was able to see it fine. That's when I decided to quit it and leave vista alone for all times.