Do you save every workout?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kurri, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Kurri macrumors 6502

So I have been using the watch for a few days and the activity / workout app is by far my favorite thing about the watch. Just gets you moving :)

Anyways, at the end of a workout, it asks if you want to save or discard the info. If you save it, where does it go? Does it take up memory on your watch? Why would you not want to save it? I'm guessing once it syncs to your phone it leaves the watch, but that is just a guess.

2. !!! macrumors 6502

!!!

I save it every time. It goes to the activity app on both your iPhone and Apple Watch.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think it really is just stored on your phone. The watch only mirrors the data stored on your phone

4. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yes, and I hope in a future W/OS release, there's a setting to toggle a default to SAVE :)

I'd also like the data to push up to iCloud!

5. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Hell yeah, I want credit for that work. The only time I hit discard is when I'm showing someone how something works, or I'm trying to figure something out. I hate trying to figure things out while I'm working out.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

All is synced with your iPhone. However your :apple:Watch is 8GB and a workout files would probably be less than 100KB since they don't contain any GPS data. You could have 1000's of then using a negligible amount of space. Even a TXC file of a 10 mile run is only about 5MB.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

I actually discard a lot of mine because I'm an idiot. I actually walk about a quarter mile to my office from the parking lot, and would like to get that activity logged because otherwise I'm really lazy. However, when I get to my desk, or vice versa, (the car), I forget to stop it. Then my pace is all off because I've been sitting in the car. The time is off, etc. So I discard. I only save when I remember to stop at the right times.

8. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I saved my workout, where do I go to review the information again?

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm looking for a better way to use the workout data to see trends over time. I want to know if I'm getting faster on my bike or not. I can do it now but its manual. In the past with Garmin I had apps that would look at the data and make graphs for me. Maybe I can do that now and just don't know. ?

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

In the Activity app, open the day in quesiton. Scroll down a bit and it will be with exercise.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The Apple Activity app is not near as nice as my Garmin where you could see graphs. Apple needs a lot more work or you need to use another compatible app to do this in the app store.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If I am doing an actual workout, I will save it. If I am using it to track heart rate while at work or doing other activities I will discard it.

13. L-Tuned macrumors regular

I always save it after a workout. To me, that's the whole point to start one. I wish it just default to save instead. Like others said you can view it under Activity app.

14. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

15. Fredo C macrumors member

Even if you discard it is still reflected in your move and exercise. Saving it only lets you go back and review the details of that particular workout, like duration and heartrate. I personally have no need to look back at individual workouts so I discard. I only care that it's reflected in my totals.

16. PilotC150 macrumors member

Move and Exercise rings get advanced even when you're not recording a workout.

17. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

From what I've observed - yes and no. Both seem to be a combination of accelerometer data and heart rate data. I'm fairly certain that sometimes activity is missed because some of that data is only checked incrementally under normal circumstances. If you do a dedicated workout is specifically tracks everything during the entire workout.