Do you sell your old CDs and DVDs? If so, where?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've got a bunch of CDs and DVDs that have piled up and was thinking maybe it's time to get rid of some of the clutter they cause.

Does anyone else where sell these sorts of things and if so, where do you do it? eBay? Half.com? Craigslist? Amazon? Somewhere else?

Can anyone who's had experience on these sites comment on which is quickest/easiest? I just would like to get rid of some of these things as conveniently as possible.

Thanks!

2. timerollson macrumors 65816

Craig's List.

I like dealing locally so I can just meet up with a buyer. Of course, I like to meet in public places. After a friend of mine got scammed with fake money orders, I only like to deal with cash.

3. shikimo macrumors 6502

Ditto Craigslist. When I left the US the last time (2006) I sold nearly everything I owned this way, including hundreds of CDs (all carefully stored in my iTunes library and backed up on data DVDs, of course:)) and some DVDs, and I had nothing but good experiences with the buyers. I recommend just leaving your anonymous Craigslist email contact, then give a phone number over email if you feel OK with the person (you can learn a lot from a 3-minute phone conversation), looking out for red flags the whole time: only do business with people who don't do weird things, like try to pay you in installments, or with personal checks, or strange cashiers' checks, or ask you to bring the stuff to a place of their choosing; don't reply to requests from people who are far away, ignore emails that seem computer-generated or just generally fishy, etc...you know, common sense stuff. I really think that if you keep it local, public and in cash that it's pretty safe. I was living in the city of Pittsburgh at the time, I had probably 100 people in my apartment basically coming by and shopping, and everything went smoothly. Well, the guy who bought my McDermott pool cue did ask me if I'd ever beat anybody up with it while smiling creepily, but it worked out.

BTW, I got 3 bucks per CD, with impromptu deals for people who bought a whole stack of them.

Incidentally, I also found out that you can sell the contents of an average 1-bedroom American apartment for about 1500 bucks in 3 weeks:). Good luck!

4. iGav macrumors G3

I did a car boot only a couple of weeks ago to start getting rid of mine. ;)

I'll be doing another one next month to get rid of the rest. :D

Do they have car boots stateside? :confused:

5. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

www.secondspin.com

You can either send them a list of your items (if you have a huge list) or you can go through and pick which cds/dvds you have and then send them in. They send you a check about a week later.

I sold a bunch of my cds to them a few years ago, they cut me a check for about $750.

6. mpshay macrumors 6502

7. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

8. mail4asim macrumors member

mail4asim

I threw over 300 in trash.. sorry there was no recycling place where I lived out in the country.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

You realise that if you sell a cd you no longer have the rights to own the mps ripped from that cd, don't you. You're effectively pirating music.

10. shikimo macrumors 6502

Gee, why don't I feel guilty about that?

Just because someone doesn't have the space to keep an aging collection of honestly-purchased CDs or tapes or records does not mean they forfeit their right to listen to the music for all time...this is not what piracy laws are for. Even if you are technically correct, find a cop/judge/lawyer who is interested in pursuing a case like this involving an individual and then get back to us.

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

If that's the case, then the condition of the jewel case be damned - they should all fetch the same $18.99 when I resell them..

I don't buy into this at all... Once I buy it and spend my money on it, I'll rip it to my library and sell it for much of the time less than half what I spent on it (I seldom buy brand-new, but still)
    --
    I've sold stuff on Amazon.com before - I don't know about Craigslist or SecondSpin, but Amazon has always worked good for me.

12. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I have sold several of my DVD movies, usually for $3.99 or less to a place that sells used ones. No, I do not retain a copy of it, I believe that if I sell it, it no longer belongs to me. The place is called Hastings and it's located in Newnan, Ga.

13. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Thanks. I have some old cd's and dvd's around and hopefully I can get the new nano! Do they accept pc games though? I saw that they take video games but wasn't sure about computer games. Hopefully they take my cd's though...some are pretty scratched up but still play well.

14. bobolm macrumors newbie

mx123.com

I suppose there is no right answer. Everyone has a different value of their time. If i want the best prices possible then ebay or craigslist. If i want to avoid the hassle of selling one here and one there I will sell in bulk to mx123.com.
    I have tried secondspin but prefered mx because they prepaid me for my shipping and i didn't have to make a trip to the post office with their shipping label. And you get close to ebay prices.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I never thought to sell mine... When I initially relocated, i hired a huge skip and proceeded to dump everything that's useless in there, along with hundreds of old tatty books and dated magazines...

It felt good, like a heavy weight lifted from my shoulders.

16. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I really don't own any CDs. I always went the way with MP3 players. Back then, I just listened to the radio.
    I have DVDs here are there. Some of them I let go on eBay for like $5 with about $2-3 for shipping and handling.

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Amazon if you want a set price, eBay if you want them to go. I sold a bunch of DVDs on eBay before Christmas. Some didn't so too well, but as long as you look at the whole lot as one item then I got £70 for 8 DVDs. Better than collecting dust under my TV :)

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What kind of cd's and dvd's are you selling? Are you looking to do a batch sell or piece by piece?

Do you have a list? I might be interested in some of them.

19. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I've never sold a single CD or DVD. When I no longer need them I give them to our local charity organisation, which sometimes turns out to be a win (rather than loose) situation. Whilst there I once picked up for little more than pocket-money a discarded PowerMac G4 (complete but wouldn't boot), and on more recent visits a few Mac accessories.

20. Tech198 macrumors G4

somewhere else.

Back in the day, there used to be a second hand CD/DVD shop, u could buy discounted optical media and sell to them... I used to to cart about 500+ CD's and a few DVD's to them all the time... Now days its more disposable stuff like like anything...

Their only made of plastic after all. If i wanna buy albums, since i never buy them new anyway, i have noting to loose.

Half of the time now, i only buy CD's just to make digital versions of them... (.....which now i think about it doesn't even make sense...) as their only used *once*.