Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I was wondering if someone can please help me figure out a few things.

I used to have my itunes preferences set up to "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library." However, I almost filled up my system drive by doing this. Do you guys keep this option on or off?

Lately, I unchecked this option. The problem I run into now is if I have a playlist set up in itunes but move the audio files which are a part of the playlist to a different hard drive I have to research for the files.

Is there anyway around this or to fix this so I don't have to keep searching for files if I want to re-organize my mp3's and copy them to a different hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
I have iTunes set to add to my library automatically. I thought I would never have a problem with my 100Gb drive in my PB, but alas I am so quickly down to my last 10Gb!

I still have the option set but for large amounts of music I think twice and make sure it's not duplicated elsewhere.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yes, I use iTunes so that I don't have to worry about organising the filestructure - I manage all my music through iTunes, I don't think I've ever opened the iTunes Music folder.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004

Thanks for the replies. So is there no way to set up itunes so if I make a playlist but move the audio files from where they originally where when I made the play list (i.e move to different hard drive) that it will automatically locate them? I always end up having to add them back in, one by one and its a huge pain in the ass. Not to mention I have over 400 gb of mp3s..

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
I did manage it once - with iTunes off, moved the tracks to a new drive but with the same structure and folder name as before, then replaced the original folder (that was set as the music folder in iTunes) with an alias (with the same name) to the new one, opened iTunes, seamless transition to the new location... at least i think that's what happened :p. It only worked for tracks managed by iTunes. Which isn't a problem if you're moving them around on a drive anyway, only if you're copying them to a different drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.