Do you share apps when dual booting OS Xs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by owbp, May 28, 2016.

1. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

So I'm running 10.11 as my main OS, but i always have something older (10.6-10.9) for patching El Capitan after updates if necessary, older DAWs and for some nostalgia time. :)

The question is (if supported) do you share apps or install same apps on each OS?
    Any disadvantage of running most common apps (VLC, Firefox, Clementine etc…) from another installation on same Mac?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

None that I can think of for standalone apps like those. On my multi-boot Macs I tend to keep copies of apps in each Applications folder, but that's mainly for convenience and I don't always put all the same apps in each OS.

3. owbp thread starter macrumors 6502a

owbp

Thanks, I'm too using different apps, but for those everyday, common apps it just seems "prettier" if only one pops up in Spotlight instead few, for every OS X there is on Mac. :)

One more thing that bugs me are the MAS apps. The only two i need are Caffeine and Pages.
    Is there more elegant way of handling things than deleting newest Pages from El Capitan and then downloading older one to run it on both Mountain Lion and El Cap?
    Im running Caffeine from 10.11.6 partition, but i cannot run Pages the same way because of the system incompatibility.
    Then again, as you know, you cannot download second copy of app on the same machine, or can you? o_O