Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

Thought I'd resurrect this with a warning that tearing this up isn't good enough - read this!

It's an entertaining read, so please do, but basically the guy applies for a credit card with a torn up and taped together application form, asks for it to be sent to a different address, and gives a cellphone number. A couple of weeks later a brand new $5000 credit card is his.....:eek:

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
That's wild. I guess that's why I shred these things. :eek:

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I'm not surprised at all!

I faithfully shread all CC offers, mortgage offers, etc. Anything where you can just easily fill out and send in with my name on it. We also save all of our receipts from shopping and every month shread them too. Every year we collect all of our bills (gas, electric, pay stubs) and shread them from the past year. We only keep them for a year for audit purposes.

Of course, the flip side of keeping this stuff is that were a thief to break into the house, they'd find a nice box in my office full of sensitive information. So, shread immediately and risk having no supporting paperwork for a billing error/audit or save and try to mitigate the risk?

Oh, and as for fire, I've burned enough stuff in my time to know that not everything burns completely. There's still plenty of information from scraps -- or entire pages that survive -- that it's not worth it, IMO. Invest $80 in a good quality shreader and be done with it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Since most of those offers have telephone numbers you can call, putting the thing back together isn't even necessary.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
blackfox said:
Nobody uses fire?
Yes, but its very difficult to burn a pile of paper documents. They burn really well if you shred them first though - double the therapeutic value. And if you burn them on a log-burner you have the added pleasure of knowing that your heating bills have been reduced courtesy of the junk mailers.

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
We shred, credit card offers, bank statements, prescription statements, inserts from catalogues and then take the stuff and mix it in with the scoopable cat littler. We have two cats, so the rule as I see it is, one box per cat and then another. Scoop each day and throw it out. Who knows what is in the cat poop bag. I really don't think an identity thief is going to go through cat waste, litter and what not to find a pre-printed catalogue offer from LL Bean.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
When I shred, I make sure any reference to myself is destroyed, including anything that looks like a serial number or bar code. For all you know, that's a reference to some database entry about you.

I always have gotten mail like that, addressed to people who used to live where I now do, so it pisses me off, thinking about the sensitive info about me being sent to old addresses I used to live at.

L

Lau

Then again, we get loads of mail for our landlady, which I always returned to sender. Then she screwed us over, so now I just chuck it all in the bin. :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Some comments for those who already use a shredder:

- Shred everything, not just your sensitive documents. The more stuff in the basket the more someone would need to go through to gather worthwhile data.

- If shredding Legal sheets, rip them in half and put them through the shredder sideways.

- Shred at an angle when possible.

- Burn your shreddings, if you can.

- If not, separate into separate bags to dispose of.

Some comments about shredders:

- Strip shredders are basically a waste of time as the strips can easily be put back together. And if the strips are wide, many times you can read the info right off the strips.

- Cross cut/Confetti-cut shredders are not all the same. The smaller the pieces the better.

- If you want security, shredded pieces should be less than 1 inch long and 5/32 inch or less wide.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
stevep said:
Yes, but its very difficult to burn a pile of paper documents.
This is very true.

If you want to have fun, put an old book in a fire and see how much is left over after the book is completely burned.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
sushi said:
Some comments for those who already use a shredder:

- Shred everything, not just your sensitive documents. The more stuff in the basket the more someone would need to go through to gather worthwhile data.

- If shredding Legal sheets, rip them in half and put them through the shredder sideways.

- Shred at an angle when possible.

- If not, separate into separate bags to dispose of.

Some comments about shredders:

- Strip shredders are basically a waste of time as the strips can easily be put back together. And if the strips are wide, many times you can read the info right off the strips.

- Cross cut/Confetti-cut shredders are not all the same. The smaller the pieces the better.

- If you want security, shredded pieces should be less than 1 inch long and 5/32 inch or less wide.

Wow. I don't think I'll ever have anything important enough to go to these measures.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
We shred, but don't go so far as burning the shredding's(?), and then tossing the ashes in the stream by the house, that then leads down to the ocean just a couple of blocks away, but maybe I should?

I have to say I have no regrets going from a strip-shredder that cost us all of $14 (at Staples) to the excellent cross-cut shredder we have now...that cost us $5 at a garage sale (we knew the seller).

Now, if only we could get those strip-shredded documents fed sideways into the cross-cut shredder...:D
Our shredder ranks right up there with our locking mailbox. Since we have a mailbox mounted out on the coast highway we felt it was almost more important. The best shredder doesn't help if the cunning tweaker is able to get to the mail first.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
sushi said:

one of the joys of living in a rural setting is using a burn barrel to make all the paper products go bye-bye. it's fun, it keeps you warm, and saves all the snail spam from ending up in the landfill. and in the spring, the ash mixes in with the compost to start up the garden. beauty.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
4JNA said:
one of the joys of living in a rural setting is using a burn barrel to make all the paper products go bye-bye. it's fun, it keeps you warm, and saves all the snail spam from ending up in the landfill. and in the spring, the ash mixes in with the compost to start up the garden. beauty.
Yep, it sure makes it easy in a rural setting.

And burning shredded paper is definitely easier than burning non shredded paper.

Fun too! :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
max_altitude said:
Wow. I don't think I'll ever have anything important enough to go to these measures.
My recommendations are minimal for normal things like bank and credit card statements, tax returns, personal papers, etc.

If you really want security, you need to get a shredder that can shred much smaller than 1 inch by 5/32nds.

The best that I personally owned was a shredder that cut into 2mm x 2mm pieces. Unfortunately, I wore it out. But at that size, you don't need to burn.

Now I use a cross cut shredder with 4mm by 24mm. Works pretty good but I still burn the shreddings. However, it cost about a 1/4 the price of the smaller cross cut (2x2 mm) one. It is much easier to clean the bin and cutters. And one major factor, is that there is much less paper dust generated.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I shread almost anything that even has a chance of being sensitive information.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Dude, like...uh...totally, man! I totally shred it up all the time!

Statements, ATM & debit card receipts, and even sometimes credit card apps that get mailed to me when I'm feeling, like, totally rad!

I just have a weak 5 sheet crosscut shredder - It's such a poser, man. It won't even shred up discs or cards. I've got to cut up expired credit cards the old school way (with scissors)!

So yes, I shred.

Also, recently I moved out of my apartment that I lived in for almost 7 years. I used that time to purge my life of 'stuff' I don't really need before beginning the moving process. Talk about therapeutic - Reducing the amount of 'stuff' you own by ~30% feels amazing.

But back on topic, I realized during the moving process that I had a huge amount of documents/old checks/ statements/etc... that I didn't really need to save. So one night after work I had a massive shredapalooza where I managed to fill one & a half giant black 'lawn & leaf' sized garbage bags with shreddings.

Dude, it was crazy! :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
macEfan said:
I shread almost anything that even has a chance of being sensitive information.
Suggest you add some non sensitive stuff to the mix.

That way if anybody ever wanted to attempt at getting your info, it would make it a bit more difficult as they would have to sort through non sensitive info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.