Do you shut down or sleep your MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jp700p, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

Now that the MBA can now sleep for 30 days before needing a recharge, are you simply closing the lid (and plugging it in to charge) or are you fully shutting down the system?

2. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

It takes like 13 seconds to boot up so I just shut it down.
    The only time I would put it to sleep is if I were going to be constantly opening it throughout the day.

3. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

The worst thing for a computer is the startup so I just close the lid and then open it again when I'm ready to use it. I probably shut it down once every two or so weeks.

4. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Only shutdown if I don't plan to touch the computer for more than a whole day. It comes from a habit of reducing wear and tear on HDDs, not sure how shutdown affects SSDs though.

5. NurJahan macrumors member

Does anyone know if shutting down every night/periodically is recommended?

Former windows user here.

6. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

As I don't bring it to my office usually, I turn it off before I leave home. I'll just close the lid before I sleep so that I can instantly turn it on to read news, twitter messages etc. right after I wake up the next morning.

Anyway the MBA boots up really quickly in less than 15 secs.

7. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I don't think there is any advantage to shutting it down. I've used the Air since the 2010 release (and now using the 2011 13") and I ALWAYS just shut the lid.

8. glen e macrumors 68030

I close the lid at night and pull the mag safe out.....I only shut it off when it goes in my roller case for travel....

9. df2gadgetman macrumors member

df2gadgetman

I shut down all my computers both desktops and laptops when I'm not using them. My Dell XPS M140 2gb Ram and 64gb 7200rpm HDD is 5 years old and still running with daily shutdowns. I would think the SDDs in the new MBA can handle daily shutdowns with no problems. With apple care, you have 3 years of service available.

10. scarred macrumors 6502a

Start in the morning, shutdown at night. Sleep throughout the day. This has been working quite well for me.

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

What in the world is the advantage of shutting these beasts down? Why would you bother?

12. Kafka macrumors 6502

I close the lid, restart maybe twice a month, but never shut it down.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I shut mine down, but out of habit. Closing the lid should be the way to go, but I have nightmares about Windows hibernation... :rolleyes:

14. drober30 macrumors 6502a

+1

15. fatbarstewar macrumors member

This x million. Absolutely pointless and a relic of computers past.

Seriously, it's a complete waste of time. It'd make sense if it was mbp and you weren't using it for a couple days - sleeping it without mains power would drain it, sleeping it plugged in puts unnecessary stress on the battery for a couple of days of non-use.

But the mba's drain in sleep is so negligible, may as well just sleep it. Plus,while I've no doubt an MBA is capable of 1000s of boot ups, the nature of the computer means you are stressing the hardware (extremely marginally admittedly) more than just sleeping.

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm a sleeper too for both my iMac and Air. The only time I turn either of them off is when I know I'll be away from them for multiple days (like 2+).

17. smilechild macrumors newbie

Same here. Seems the only time my iMac gets re-started is for software updates...

18. Typswif2fingers, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

With Macs mainly sleep.. But do shutdown from time to time.

At work I have a Windows XP with all the corporate crap on it.. The poor little buddy (HP laptop) needs to be restarted every night otherwise it is frozen solid in the morning (i.e I restart it every night I finish work and turn the screen off, so its ready to go next morning).

Although, as a side note.. at home I have this thin micro fibre cloth that I put over my keyboard (on an MBP) when closing it. If Safari was still open, the notebook would be unresponsive when I'd open the lid. I think that the screen would press the cloth into the keyboard causing one or more keys to "key in".. If the browser is closed there is no problems.. So if anyone has a similar problem, this is likely the cause.. I think.

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

This computer has no moving parts..but even if it did.. really? What makes you say that?

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've only shut down a couple times since I got my MBA 3 months ago.

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Close the lid...and that's it. My Windows friends are sometimes wondering: don't you shut down your laptop? But then again, exactly why would I?

22. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

shut it off if I'm not using it for a day or so or when it is running very low on charge, otherwise I sleep it through the day. As an above poster said, it only takes like 15 seconds to boot so it really doesn't matter if I turn it off. Also, it is still using battery while it sleeps (yes it's small but it still uses power.) And when it's off... no power used. I find that when I do use it, I often use it for a long time, unplugged and I want all the available battery power I can get so turning it off makes sure I have all the power I can when I do use it.

23. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

What's the OS got to do with it? I never shut my Windows machines down either. Are your friends using Windows 98?

24. bob99 macrumors member

I've never shut down any of my mac laptops (MacBook, MacBook Pro 13, now 2011 MacBook Air) I always just close them.

Shutting down a laptop seems very old-timey, like using a rotary phone.