All iPads Do you shut down your iPads during the night?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bromio, Oct 31, 2014.

?

Do you shut down your iPads during the night?

1. Yes.

15 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. No.

296 vote(s)
    95.2%
  1. Bromio macrumors 6502

That's the question.

Do you shut down your iPads during the night?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Also never. Why would you shut it down. Likely would take more power to reboot than what it took to sleep all night.

I do reboot my iPad about once a month, just for the heck of it.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

4. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Never shut mine off. Pretty much the only time I ever even reboot my iPad is when it is installing an iOS update.

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

6. NJHitmen macrumors member

I'd like to know who voted yes - and purely out of curiosity, why.

7. AnthonyS621 macrumors member

Nope, I only do it from time to time on my iPad 2 because it's getting old and starts to do wacky things

8. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I never turn mine off. You don't even need to power down during takeoff and landing anymore.

9. Bromio thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it not recommended to shut down while charging the battery?

10. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Nope, it is not.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope. I just let it sleep and at night put it on the charger. Never do I turn it off, unless it was going into storage for an extended period of time.

12. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The last time I actually powered down an iPad, I was bringing it to a store to trade it in. Couldn't tell you when I'd done it most recently before that. Occasionally an iThing needs a reboot. Otherwise, no, they don't get turned all the way off in this house, just sent to sleep.

14. Pjrufus macrumors 6502

Hardly ever. I try to make a point of shutting it down every couple of weeks, although I have no reason to believe that does anything to keep it healthy.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay...

Save for being away on long trips, I've never shut down any Apple product for any reason other than to clean them.

16. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

17. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Wow, shocked at the results.

I am one of the few that does. Just a habit I got into since the first iPhone in 2008.

18. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

Never needed to. I rarely turn off any of my Apple devices excepting the MacBook which I turn off once every week or two just because.

19. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Agree. This is a big difference I notice from my Nexus 7 Android tablet. It seems like the iPad can go for weeks in stand-by mode, but the Nexus 7 is dead after a couple of days if I don't power it down.

20. kgh87 macrumors newbie

I actually joined these forums just to respond to this after seeing all the comments because I loved these answers so much.

Working in tech support, I've come to discover that the people who never reboot their devices or better yet - never shut off their devices - are always the ones to complain about the following:

Slowness
    Freezing
    Wifi issues
    Battery life

Always. Then when you ask them the age old question "when's the last time you shut off the device or restarted it?" And they look at you like you have antlers growing from your forehead "no, why would I do that?"

The old wives tale of "using too much power to shut it down" or "wearing out the components by turning the computer on and off" is rubbish and makes no sense; as well as having no actual research to back the claim. If that was the case, you would never stop your washer and dryer, dishwasher - do you always keep your TV on?

I've shut off my original iPad every night since I got it launch day. Apple just ran a diagnostic on it last week because my mother bought it in to them (as she owns it now) and they told her the battery was at 90% capacity - the Genius was shocked for a 4 year old battery.

There's no harm in doing it - in fact you may see more benefits than you can imagine - on iOS devices, and other devices as well.