Do you shut down your Macbook Pro when you are not using it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Laughingman13, May 31, 2010.

1. Laughingman13 macrumors member

2. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I never turn it off. Mostly because I'm constantly seeding torrents.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I leave mine on and put it to sleep when I am not using it or overnight...
    I only restart it when I need to (ie: after installing new software/software update, or if it seems to be running slowly of erratically)...Once in a while I let it run overnight (turn the display all the way down) so the maintenance programs can run...

4. Laughingman13 thread starter macrumors member

is turning off your macbook pro after using it everyday bad for it?

5. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Most likely, you need to give your battery some decent ware so that it can operate properly.

6. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

it doesnt really make a difference whether you turn it off or put it to sleep. its your choice. personally i just put it to sleep because its so much easier just to open the lid and be back to doing whatever you were doing in a few seconds.

7. Laughingman13 thread starter macrumors member

decent ware?

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I will typically shut mine down at the end of the day and have it automatically power back up at 6am. I just like giving it some time to cool down and clear the RAM.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I had an AppleCare technician tell me that the less you turn the HD on and off the better (this probably doesn't apply to the SSD's)...he said that putting the HD to sleep is better "wear and tear wise" than having it start up and shut down...he told me after replacing my G4 PowerBook HD that the new drive will last longer if I let the computer sleep instead of turning it on and off every day...

10. fitto13 macrumors member

Had mine exactly one week. Turned it off once when I needed to for software on the first day and obviously after my first calibration, other than that - I just put it to sleep.

11. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Never shut mine down; just sleep. My old MacBook had an uptime of over two months before I had to system update.

12. cys920622 macrumors member

By that logic,

I restart my computer at least twice daily (to enter win7 via boot camp, then back to mac os) to play games on the windows side. I can definitely hear the HDD restarting every time i reboot. Does this mean that's bad for the HDD?

13. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Also by that logic, wouldn't the HDD start up every time you opened up your laptop from sleep mode? Cause everything shuts down during sleep mode except for the RAM. So I am not sure what that Apple Technician was saying, but I don't think a shutdown vs sleep mode is any different as far as the HDD is concerned.

14. hajime macrumors 68040

I heard that same thing also.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

sleep mostly because i use it here and there...so having to turn it on & shutting it down would become a hassle :(

16. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

As usual, that AppleCare technician is living in the dark ages and doesn't know what he/she is talking about. That was true for HDDs about a decade or so ago. HDDs these days can start/restart thousands and thousands of times; you will get rid of the computer before the HDD has a chance to die due to age.

17. Carinay macrumors newbie

Carinay

I hava shut it up because I find it necessary. Sleep would not be better

18. cys920622 macrumors member

I think the difference between a shut-off and sleep may be that the actuator arm inside the HDD moves off the platter to rest when the computer is shut off, as opposed to the arm not moving off the platter when sleeping... Well that was kind of a wild guess. The read head would need to lift off for safe movement/storage of the mbp.

19. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

There is no logic or anything. These days you will get rid of your computer looong before the HDD has a chance to die due to wear/tear.

20. Mirabella macrumors regular

I just close the lid so that it goes into sleep mode, when not in use. I only turn it off to restart it, when necessary.

21. davidlv macrumors 65816

I think, not sure of course, he was referring to Apple's recommendation to use the battery occasionally, rather than always running with the power cord connected. The batteries Apple uses needs to be used at times to maintain health. Of corse this is a different thing from your original question about sleep or turning the machine off. I usually close the lid to sleep the machine when I go to sleep and turn it off occasionally if I am not going to be home for a longer period of time. I don't think you have to worry about this at all. :cool:

22. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I rarely shut mine down, just close the lid and let it sleep.

23. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

He said that awaking the drive from sleep was not the same as it starting up cold...anyway, I've been doing that for the past 5 years now and haven't had a HD fail me since...I had three of them fail before that when I was shutting down my computer every night...I'm not certain that taking his advice was the sole reason but it is clear that it certainly didn't hurt...:)

24. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

Either there is something only Apple technician's know, or he's simply wrong. I prefer the latter. Sleeping is fine as long as you are plugged in. If it were unplugged I'd hard sleep or shut down.