Do you shut off your watch at night?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dfine1966, May 19, 2015.

1. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

If your watch is already charged at night, do you leave your watch on our do you shut it off? I have HiRise for Apple Watch but it will charge all night if left on it. I was wondering what everyone else does at night especially if it is already charged. I was thinking of shutting it off and putting it in the case that it came in for storage at night. I just got my new 42mm Apple Watch SS with Black Leather Loop band. So I am not sure what to do.

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

It isn't a detriment to any Li-Ion/Po battery made in the last decade to keep it on the charger overnight, even if it's already topped off.

3. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I think that you are over thinking this. Just leave it on the charger and put it on in the morning.
    It does not hurt it to have it on the charger all night.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The charging process ceases once the battery is topped off so it doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in. This is true of all iDevices.

5. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

6. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I have a belkin conserve socket on a 3 hour timer, so it will shut off automatically after that time! Now I don't have to worry about cooking the battery for hours each night while I sleep!

https://www.belkin.com/conserve/socket/

7. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That device is great for conserving energy, but it does nothing to help the battery of your device.

9. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

I switch it off at night and charge it in the morning.

10. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

How to you switch it off? I don't think there is any dedicated power off button on it.
    Mine have never gone below 20% battery, never mind switched off.

11. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Hold down the 'friends' button and three 'slide to' options appear, including 'power off'.

12. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

13. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

I never leave my chargers on overnight, it worries me :p I charge both in the morning when im getting ready for work

14. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Thanks, didn't know that. It's good to know, even though I don't think I will use it.

15. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

It includes power reserve and screen lock options. I have found the latter very useful when the watch is exposed to moisture, since the screen can interpret the latter as touch input.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Do what you do with your iPhone. Obviously you own an iPhone and aren't new to li-ion batteries.:D

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It amazes me that people still think that leaving on the charger will harm your battery. I do not think this will ever go away.;)

18. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Probably not. Most of the people I know do not differentiate between battery types, and so learned 'wisdom' regarding the care of batteries is applied to all types.

It's the same in other fields. I know people who change the fully synthetic oil in their cars far more regularly than is required or beneficial, yet ignore things like changing their coolant. They don't know any better.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is good that the hardware pretty well takes care of itself. But when I hear of someone setting an alarm to wake up to unplug their phone so it does not over charge . . . . . . ;)

I change my antifreeze every two years but seldom own the same vehicle past that.

20. Prince Akeem macrumors newbie

Prince Akeem

For me everything (including iPhone) simply goes into Airplane Mode at night. So turning off all radios but still have alarm (etc.) functionality.

21. grenhall macrumors regular

22. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

This

23. Subdiv macrumors 6502

I will often take my watch off an hour before bedtime and put it on the charger until I go to bed...and shut it off overnight. If the watch stops charging once it's at 100%, I'd love to know why it is often warm after an overnight charge that should have taken only a couple of hours.

24. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Things can be turned off?

I'm not certain, to be honest, if I've ever powered off my iPhone or iPad. I know I've never powered off my watch since receiving it (rebooted, yes. Powered off, no).

I don't even power off my iMac at home, my mini at the office, or my MacBook Air (though with the latter, it's battery has run out while in sleep mode I will admit). Both the iMac and Mac mini are busy doing stuff even when I'm not sitting in front of them (remote access, iTunes server, etc.).

25. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I like having my watch on when I sleep so I can easily check time, and I like the alarm on my watch better than the loud iPhone alarm.

Lately, I've started charging my watch before bed and putting it on before I sleep. It lasts until the next night where I do it again. Usually, when I got to bed with it at 100% or close, I'll awake with 85-90%. That's plenty for a full day's use.